Friday, March 2, 2007

My 'First' List

At the first of every month I take care of these little housekeeping chores! It takes about an hour and a half to do everything unless the water filter is especially uncooperative! Here is my list:


  • change furnace filter
  • change water filter
  • check for salt in softener; refill
  • check all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors - change batteries as needed
  • run the self-clean in the oven
  • vacuum all window treatments and dust blinds
  • dust baseboards and vacuum under refrigerator
  • top up washer fluid level in the van
  • check all lights on the van - the kids help with this!
  • do a walk around the exterior of the house looking for loose shingles, siding, evestrough etc. and make a list of repairs
  • dust ceiling fans and light fixtures, tops of bookcases (stuff the kids can't reach)
  • flip the matresses - just end to end for the kids no-flip matresses and the full flip for the rest of the beds
  • thoroughly clean out one closet (if I'm feeling energetic - two!)
  • clean the filter in the dishwasher and put the greasy over the stove vent filters through the dishwasher

The Historian moves all of the furniture once a month so we can vacuum under everything, but it doesn't happen on a particular set date like my chore list. We may be accused of overkill with all the frequent filter changes but what we spend for filters is a small price to pay if we are preventing an asthma attack for The Dreamer. We are on a well that tends to be 'rusty' so unless we want Dreamer to be 'carroty blond' and everyone else brassy orange-brown, the water filters are required!

That's my list! It feels good to be organized for at least one day out of the month!

3 comments:

  1. I like how you have a list of things to do at the beginning of each month! I really need to dust the top of bookshelves and ceiling fans so I think I will join you! Phillip and Emily both have allergies so I tend to dust and vacuum quite often. It really does seem to help!
    Have a great weekend!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I think I need a list like that too. Some of those things get ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such a great list! If you need to change the filters for your family's health, then that isn't wasteful at all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!