Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Spring Fever?



"Spring shows what God can do with a drab and dirty world."


~Virgil A. Kraft



My home reflects the world outside my window - little piles of dirty snow and soggy garbage scattered here and there. Inside, my house is just the same - little projects, big projects, piles of books, papers and 'stuff' that needs to be put away.


I'm in the mood to move the furniture, re-arrange the bookshelves, finish those curtains and make some new arrangements for 'here' and and a fresh wreath or two for 'there'. I'd like to pick up a paintbrush and transform a chair, sit at my sewing table and produce plump pillows, and find a new home for the desk I am always stubbing my toes on. I even have an urge to go .... (and this is so unlike me) shopping! As if I could shop my way out of this mood!



'It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've
got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!'


~Mark Twain




I have, in short, a vague feeling of dissatisfaction with my surroundings. Perhaps it is 'spring fever', or perhaps it is just a longing for perfect order and beauty, but whatever it is, I hope it passes soon!




The reality is, that if I can just look past what isn't done and really see all the beauty that does surround me, I will know the blessing of contentment and the undeniable joy of the comfort of our Christ - centered home. We are so very blessed!




I'm not saying I don't want to tidy up and get these projects completed, I'm just wanting to be sure to be content in the process. I don't want an attitude of dissatisfaction to creep in and make me feel like 'I'll be happy when ... ', because I know God wants me to be content in all circumstances - and my circumstances are really very wonderful.



God has called me to be a woman at home, a wife, a mother, and a teacher. I long to do it all with excellence because I want my life to bring glory to God. I pray each day for the strength to do 'the next thing' with an attitude of gratitude, and to teach our children by example.



The seeds of discontent are so easily sown, but what they reap is an ungrateful heart, and that makes for a very unhappy harvest. So, today, I am pulling up those weedy seedlings and planting some gratitude - I hope you'll join me!

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you Heather...I had the blahs..or whatever we call it. So I started a journal of gratitude. It has helped.

    Even though we haven't had any winter yet, everything looks dingy, dry and dirty. I don't have dirty snow like you do though. I guess it's that time of year where nothing looks good.

    When you have days of limited enery it is easy to get frustrated too. Hang in there!

    Your post planted gratitude today!
    Blesings, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you -- I need to plant some gratitude. I really do have it pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Heather. A clean heart is far more important now and eternally than a clean house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever it is...I have it too. Good reminder to stay focused on what really matters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!