Friday, March 16, 2007

Aunt Sarah's Pecan Crisps


Its been a week of pouring over estimates and comparing prices and finally coming to 'the big' decision, which has lead to making a lot more little decisions quite quickly - in other words we are launching .... yet another renovation! This time it is the moldy master bathroom - the room that I think is part of the basis for all of the illness we have suffered this winter. I have tried to keep ahead of the mold, but you cannot clean behind the drywall, and it has just progressed to a necessary gut and re-do kind of renovation.


Am I ready for this kind of stress? I don't know! I don't think so! We have been down this road thrice now - four times if we include having a painter here for more then a month banishing the multiple shades of orange we inherited when we purchased this home just over two years ago. I think I just want to get it done and over with so that I don't have to deal with the mold any longer. I am praying for strength and clarity of mind - and that we can keep on doing our schoolwork with as few distractions as possible!


When we were almost done our schoolwork, I decided to just relax and do some baking today - more than 1/2 of it is already out the door to friends and neighbours! I made 3 loaves of banana bread, 4 loaves of whole wheat bread and Aunt Sarah's Pecan Crisps. If you can keep out of these you are a better woman than I! The recipe says they are 'good keepers' since they have a high butter content, but you just try to stop at one! How do I know they go nicely with a hot cup of tea? Mmmmm ...




Aunt Sarah’s Pecan Crisps


1 cup butter - do not substitute
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup icing sugar - unsifted
½ cup all purpose flour, sifted
½ cup cake and pastry flour, sifted
7/8 cup coarsely chopped pecans



Into beater bowl measure butter, vanilla and icing sugar and beat on high until pale, smooth and light. Beat in flours, then add nuts. Butter a 11”x15” cookie sheet with ½“ sides (or jelly roll pan). With spatula spread batter thinly and evenly making it a bit thicker at the edges than the middle since they tend to brown faster. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes for a shortbread like texture and pale golden color. Bake for 20 minutes for a crisp texture and a deeper golden color - they actually took 25 minutes today since it is really damp here.



Cool in pan and sprinkle evenly with a dusting of icing sugar. Break into pieces and pile them higgledy-piggledly on a fancy cookie plate. For a more uniform look cut into triangles while still warm. Icing sugar dusting can be omitted (or forgotten ;+) they are just WONDERFUL!



Thank you Mrs. D. for including this in the Bethel Ladies’ Coffee Hour Cookie Cookbook


6 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! My inlaws had mold problems in their master bathroom and once it was removed, their health improved! I will pray that the renovations go smoothly and you keep your sanity!! Your baking day sounds wonderful and I will be trying Aunt Sarah's Pecan crisps very soon, they are just my kind of dessert. :0)
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement Kelli! I am at the point that I just can't keep up with the mold, but I am exausted right now and facing a major,loud, messy, dusty, decision filled renovation is more of a nightmare than a dream come true!

    These cookies are so simple - enjoy! Warning though - they are very buttery and rich .... and a bit addictive! Dreamer had 4 before she could stop! Good thing I cut them small!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a pleasure to be in your house when you were doing all that baking. It smelled so good! Of course taking some home was very nice as well. You could always take refuge at our house if you need to during the renovations. Of course with all of the kids it may not be much of a refuge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed the 'aromatherapy' in my kitchen! I am always glad to be able to give some baking you your family - better on your hips than mine!!!

    We will be in the throws of renovation for 6-8 weeks so I'm planning a lot of field trips! We'll have to pack a picnic basket and just head out! I'm hoping the parks dry out and the weather warms up - we can do our schoolwork 'al fresco'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, it could be worse, it could be a continued 6-8 weeks, months, years of mold if the reno isn't done ....

    think of how wonderful it will be when it is done -- that first night when you sink into your comfy bed and look around and sigh and think "niiiiiiice". =)

    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it will be nice when it is done, I just have to keep that in mind through the noise, dust, disruption, dust, decisions, dust, diappointments, dust, unexpected expenses, dust ..... you understand!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!