Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What are we thinking?

Phillipians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
I have a love affair with fall! Every year my heart sings as I watch the maples turn to orange and yellow and the air becomes fresh and cool. I see the hand of God at work in His creation and it brings peace to my soul. It seems like my flowers have an extra burst of energy and though the blooms are small, they are bright. I love oven suppers and simmering stew -fluffy tea biscuits just out of the oven and steaming bowls of chili. It brings me great joy to pull hot muffins out of the oven each morning and I pour over recipe books to find new meals to delight my family now that 'grilling season' is winding down. My dear husband and I wed in the fall on the most beautiful day I can ever remember.
I think this love affair with fall is part of the reason that I find Hallow'een such a blight on the season. I love for my children to have wholesome fun, but I don't see anything fun about the way folks in North America are celebrating this day. Quite honestly, I hate taking my children shopping because of all of the dark and evil images they are exposed to right now. I find the gruesome scenes and horrors very disturbing. What are we thinking? How did we let this go so far? Why are we setting these images before our eyes - all in the name of childish 'fun'? How did it become a multi-million dollar occasion?
When our children are asked what they want to be for Begger's Night, they answer ' we don't celebrate Hallow'een, but we do have fun and play dress up almost every day! We don't want to fill our hearts and minds with scary stuff because it doesn't honor God'. Many people take me to task, but there are a few who give us the opportuntiy to speak to them further about God, so it is worth the effort.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report,
if there be any virtue and if there be any praise,
think on these things.
It is a challenge to keep our minds focused on what God has for us each day, but it is so important. I found Brenda's post on 'Coffee, Tea Books and Me' so encouraging today!
'We need to know there are others who are holding on to values for dear life, who are meeting hurricane force resistance in living the life we have chosen. It doesn't matter if we have children or we don't, if we homeschool or send our children to public schools, it doesn't matter if we work outside the home or not. What knits us together is our choice to live a life of faith and values.'
Let's encourage one another toward virtuous thinking!

2 comments:

  1. As we used to say in the 70's, "keep on keepin' on!"
    We have "not celebrated" October 31st for 31 years now. You have taken the opportunity to teach your children well, and they will know it as Truth.

    Blessings,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for your expression on this topic. Our family feels the same way. As a child, I did not grow up in a Christian home, so I celebrated Halloween to it's fullest. I was a bit of a chicken, so not too spooky, regardless, looking at it now, sickens me. There is nothing romantic or lovely about death. I think of how the Bible speaks of life and how we are to embrace truth. Not death and gore. I too love the Fall, this is my very favorite season! I am starting to collect pumpkins. We will be outdoors so much more! Fall just somehow speaks to me.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!