Friday, September 15, 2006

The Historian spent 31 hours in hospital this week.

As I write this, I am still astounded! My husband is rarely unwell, and while we have spent plenty of time at the hospital, it is always myself or our son who has been the one laying on the hospital bed wearing that ever so attractive and flattering hospital gown, and never, ever my big strong, well husband. I'll admit I was a bit frightened, and at the same time, I knew a sense of peace and God's presence. We came home from our vacation on Sunday, and my husband was fine, but a sudden strong infection took hold in his leg Tuesday night and by Wednesday morning he wisely felt he needed to have it looked at. He and I thought he would have it checked and get some antibiotics and he'd be back to work. We never dreamed a hospital stay would be required, but it was. We still don't know the source of the infection, but we do know that it is improving and though he is tired from the medicines, he is doing well.

We have much to be thankful for as I write tonight! One of the things I am most thankful for is the family of God. We are far from family here, but we have our church family and the families in our homeschool co-op. I sent out a quick e-mail and immediately they prayed, called, e-mailed back and offered to help! It was such a wonderful comfort to know we were loved in such a real and practical way!

Tonight we celebrated daddy's homecoming with family Pizza and Video night. My husband is having a really hard time finding rental videos that line up with our family values, or that are not too offensive, but tonight he found a heartwarming story called ' The Trial of Old Drum'. I think we all sat on the edge of our seats, and our sensitive Dreamer & Storyteller shed many tears, but the happy ending was wonderful, so it was all worth while! There were a lot of positive and negative 'teachable moments' in the movie, so I know it will spawn good food for thought and discussion with the children. The 1950's clothing was a joy to see, and there was one dress that made me think of my grandmother, simple yet elegant!

Life often feels like a series of trials and difficulties, and we are often streched beyond our comfortable places. I don't really know how I would handle the ups and downs we have faced without a real relationship with God. I'm finding the only place to find quiet rest in the trials of life is near to the heart of God.

Thus saith the LORD: "Stand ye in the highways and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way; and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.
Jeremiah 6:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!