Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Summer Supper

I haven't been grocery shopping for a while - we've picked up milk and eggs, but I haven't done a major shop since before cousin's camp! Once again, I overestimated how much food we would need, but no worries because it all got used ... eventually! Needless to say, my lengthening shopping list tells me it's time for some more fresh produce, baking staples and other good things to eat! With that in mind (and no car in the driveway) I cleaned the fridge, 'gleaned' a decent supper, and felt very very blessed to be able to do so!



Corn Meal Muffins (used up some sour milk) with my homemade Apple Butter ( last fall)

Sweet pickles & pickled beets ( store bought)

Sliced Beefsteak Tomatoes from the garden

Sliced Cucumbers and Green Beans - picked while the rains let up

Garden Potatoes Roasted with fresh Rosemary and sea salt

Steamed Green Beans (for those who like their veggies cooked)

Herb Roasted Chicken with dipping sauce

Jumble Berry Crisp

(made with six or seven cups of various berries discovered here and there in the fridge! - a variation of THIS OLD RECIPE)

So, we had a good supper, the fridge is clean and quite empty, and we are ready for groceries in the morning! Yeah! All in all, supper took about 30 minutes of prep time, and the same in clean up time for Daddy and the children. After supper we dug into James 1 again for our family devotions.



On an entirely different subject, I want to say thank you for all your kind comments on our freshly painted front door! Our rarely excitable substitute rural route mail lady gushed over our door the other day and made me feel really quite self-conscious! My quietly comical Historian thought that the numbers on the door strongly resembled the cell door numbering from his former prison ministry days! I guess that just goes to show you how he really feels about married life!!! The truth comes out!

Anyway, please keep in mind that I was just boldly copying creative Karla at It's the little things that make a house a home' and this isn't anything original I thought up. Red is not a quiet color - in fact it speaks loudly! This is 'A Place of Quiet Rest' ... so this was quite a bold departure for me!

In case you really want to paint something 6 times to achieve the same glorious shade of lush cherry red, you'll need to take this info to your Home Depot (or Behr dealer) and beg the nice lady to find this retired color formula for you:

BEHR'S Premium Plus 'Cherry Tree' ECC-32-3

We used the satin exterior enamel and the base # is 9340

Have fun!


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Your door is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your front door...it looks very welcoming! I made those same kind of front door numbers about a month ago and really enjoy how it 'sets apart' our place from the neighbors :)

    Have a lovely weekend!
    ~Michelle
    (Treasure the Moment)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!