Monday, August 10, 2009

Vacationing isn't for sissies!

I woke up this morning sounding like Darth Vader. It's not a great way to start a vacation, but we're making the best of it.

My Dad drove down Friday, slept over night, and packed us up Saturday morning. We got about 3/4 of the way to the Bay before I completely fizzled out. I was in pretty bad shape, so we had some supper, and took a room for the girls and one for the boys. Poppa took the kids swimming in the salt water pool, and I tried desperately to get rid of a headache and rest. In the morning we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, and headed out. It rained very heavily, which really slowed things up, but we got here. We thanked God for bringing us all this way safely. Poppa put 1287 miles on the truck - just for us! We are very thankful, since I don't think I could have brought us up on my own. The children were excellent, we had no close calls, and the girl at the border was quite friendly - all good things.

The Storyteller was starting on a cold Friday before we left, which he thoughtfully shared with Sister and I. Hence, my Darth Vader imitation. I am not going over to the dark side - really! My voice is always the first thing to go when I have a nasty cold. It isn't pretty. I am praying that we do not share any of our germs with anyone else! Dreamer coughed until 2 am, so she went to bed early and is hoping to feel much better tomorrow.

It's a kind of miserable start to our vacation, especially since the heat we were praying for seems to be here - and now we are avoiding the water, hoping to forestall ear infections for Storyteller and a full asthmatic episode for our Dreamer. They did swim yesterday, keeping heads mostly above water, and today they enjoyed catching minnows without getting too wet - so they are not totally deprived! They just think they are. We are using peppermint essential oil for the sinus symptoms, Vicks on the chests, and drinking lots of fluids. We made sure to get the kids tucked in earlier tonight - hopefully they will get to sleep soon!

I just read all of your kind comments on our Storyteller's pants predicament, and I must say that I am delighted to not be alone in this struggle! Our guy has a tummy and little love handles - no doubt the result of all of the fresh whole milk he consumes. But, he is lacking on the back side ... so we see a lot of back ... slide ... if you know what I mean! We did overalls for the longest time but Osh Kosh B'Gosh stopped making the 'big' boy sizes and he was getting teased a bit about them anyway. Then we tried those adjustable waist pants with a belt or suspenders, but we still saw more of him than we ought to have. Elastic all around may not be 'cool' but if they give a boy a chance to play without having to hitch up his pants every 10 seconds, well, we're all for them! He is as pleased as punch with his freshly hemmed Land's End Cargo Climbers - and they are on sale HERE if you're looking! I know I'll be ordering a couple more pairs when I get another 'free shipping' offer! Double kneed pants that don't slide down are a boy's best friend! That and a good baseball game!

I am off to bed now myself - same treatment as the children - only my 'liquids' involve nice china cups filled with lovely hot tea ... and a nibble or two of Grammy's sweet treats! I'll have to be careful though, or I'll be rolling out of here with a few extra pounds in two weeks when our Historian comes to get us! That would not be good!

I'll check in again when I've got my voice back! Do try to make the most of these fleeting last weeks of summer! That's what we'll be doing!

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I hope you are able to have a wonderful vacation despite the sickening start. :( That's no fun. Can't wait to see some pictures. I hope it is a restful time too and that you will gain back some strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie is still trying to recover from her "second honeymoon". I know part of it is jet lag but both she and I have always had to recover from traveling.

    Hope you are well soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I just stopped by and wanted to leave a comment to say how much I've enjoyed reading your posts. I've learnt so much today ! Your photographs are beautiful and I've had such fun looking around your website.

    Thank you for sharing your writing and your thoughts and best wishes !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather! Hope everything is going well, and that you are having or had a great time away. So sorry to hear that it started off with being sick. :o( That has happened to me before!

    Looking forward to hearing all about it!
    Love and hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're feeling better & your vacation was a relaxing, joyful success.

    Blessings, Kim < > <

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!