Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Shirt Tales

A few months ago I hit the tail end of a 'bag sale' at our local church run second hand shop - I was pleased to find that the last hour of the sale was 2 bags for $5 - until I looked around and realized once again that the early birds had pretty much cleaned out the shop. Still, I was on the hunt for wool sweaters to felt, and I saw a few right away, so I paid for my two bags and began filling them up.

One of the items I stuffed in my bag was this 100% linen shirt. It wasn't a size that would fit anyone in our household, but it had a lovely feel to it and lots of potential.

For years I've been looking for linens with a monogrammed 'K' to make into something special - but I've never happened across a decent piece of cloth with our last initial. I did score some sweet pillowslips once upon a time, but they so reeked of smoke, I ended up using them as curtains out in the garage.

Tonight I finally finished the project I had in mind for that simple linen shirt - a monogrammed pillow! I finally have my 'K' on linen!
Now, don't look too closely at my hand stitching, please. I am not an experienced embroiderer, but I found simple instructions and a pleasing monogram pattern at

www.needlenthread.com

Very simple, and just exactly what I've been looking for all these years. Imperfectly perfect!

And lest my longed for pillow forget it's humble beginnings, I have only to turn it around to see just how it began ... as a plain and simple shirt!

post signature

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I lOVE the pillow so much
    I am so in complete awe of anyone who can sew
    It has been a lifelong dream of mine to be able to sew

    I also love the buttons I am all for buttons on pillows I think they add so much character
    I just bought sweather pillows with buttons but they are nothing compared to your embroidered pillow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever! And it looks so cute! :) I have always wanted a monogrammed pillow too.

    All the best,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful! You inspire me.

    I have a favorite Talbot's shirt that is now too small that I've kept to "someday" make a pillow from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 18, 2009

    I love the pillow you made it is sooo nice and pretty.
    It looks old fashioned yet modern.

    Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it!! I think it came out great and I'm off to check out that website. I've been looking for one too and they did have some monogrammed pillows at Hobby Lobby but the price was crazy - I just couldn't do it!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just gorgeous!!! you did such a lovely job! I've started napkins that I intend to monogram for a friend who's getting married this summer. I just need to figure out a design...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!