Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Old Fashioned Tomato Soup

What do you do when you've got too many tomatoes? Why, make soup of course! I had about 6 quarts of frozen tomatoes that started to thaw when the power was out, so I made a double batch of tomato soup yesterday. It does not freeze well because it is a creamy soup and will separate, so we will be eating it for a while, and we have already given 3 quarts away.



Old Fashioned Tomato Soup

4 tablespoons butter

1 small cooking onion, minced

2 cloves of garlic, minced

2 cups good chicken stock

3 quarts of chopped tomatoes, fresh, canned or frozen

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

fresh ground pepper

1 tsp. basil

1 tsp. oregano

2 cups of light cream or half and half, heated

Melt butter in large stock pot and saute onions and garlic just until translucent - do not brown. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, sugar, baking soda and seasonings. Simmer for two hours, stirring occasionally. My double batch took much longer because the tomatoes were still partly frozen but eventually, I had a nice thick tomato mixture. Puree until smooth using a hand held blender or in small batches in a traditional blender or food processor. Return to pot and slowly add heated cream, blending well. Heat through but do not allow to boil after cream is added as curdling may occur. Taste for seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Makes 3 quarts.

Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches, naturally!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Mmm....looks delicious! Tomato soup and grilled cheese is my favorite lunch!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds so good! i must remember the recipe is here. I do love tomato soup with grilled cheese! Any advice on the crab apples? Have you made jelly with them before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful full soup, and if you want to, add cooked noodles to make it into a tomato-noodle soup.
    Mmmm. . . DeMarcoes is great
    Heffalump

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm! My husband loves tomato soup. I may have to treat him to this recipe.
    To answer your question about painting the harps...I usually don't, only because they're not seen. But you can if you'd like, or just buy two matching ones to make sure they're the exact same size.

    I'm sorry that I took forever to get back to you. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!