Monday, April 21, 2008

Life after all


While I still feel like I've been doing 10 rounds with a pro boxer, I am much better today. I am too weak to lift a gallon of milk, but the sight of food does not make me run to the bathroom. A good thing. I have seen far too much of our bathroom lately.

I could still do the sound effects for a distant thunder storm or a horror flick - yes, my rumbly tummy really is that loud! I am so exhausted, it's not even funny! I have lost 10 pounds since last Monday. I cannot possibly recommend the method, of course, but I am trying to find the bright side. Another good thing is that my children can do toilet paper roll art to their heart's content, for weeks to come. Enough said. Also, that expensive colon cleanse herb concoction that I was considering for a bit of physical spring 'house cleaning' is no longer necessary. I wasn't looking forward to it anyway.

In my deep and profound reflections during the last 5 days, I have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, if I had one. When I compared the horrible emptiness and resulting painful discomfort with labor, my husband's eyebrows shot up in surprise. Of course, at the end of labor you have something to hold and cherish, which is totally not true of the flu.

We had planned to have a 'fare well' party in our home on Friday for friends who are moving to New Orleans, but we are going to have to reschedule, for sure. I want to make very certain that our party guests are taking nothing home but happy memories, so we need to be very sure that we don't have another outbreak of this wretched illness. I am working up the strength to re-sanitize everything I can again, and wash all the bedding in hot water. Again.

Now, I am sure you have had enough of this play by play. I know I have, so I will now stop wallowing in our mini-epidemic and discontinue sharing all the lovely details of our family illness. Unless, of course, The Dreamer gets sick. We are praying for her constantly.

My sweet Mum offered to jump in the car and join the fray, but I discouraged her. I really really would just be devastated if she came to help and picked up this bug. We did that once before - you can read about it here. Anyway, while we were talking, she shared something with me that touched my heart. Years ago in prayer meeting, an older gentleman weekly prayed for the sick and infirmed, never neglecting to pray that 'their pillows would be made soft'. My Mum never understood such an odd request until a time in her own life when she was forced to her bed for an extended time and realized that pillows that were generally soft and pliable became rock hard and uncomfortable after time.

Having recently experienced the sensation of rock hard pillows that hurt your head, neck and ears, I have decided that when I pray for those on my list who are bedridden or ill for an extended time, I will include a plea for soft pillows on their behalf. Our God is a God of great compassion, and knows our every need. I was also thinking of looking for some really excellent quality king sized cotton sheets to make into pretty pillowslips. When we send encouragement cards, food or flowers to those who are ill, it is certainly helpful, but wouldn't the inclusion of a wonderfully cool, soft, smooth pillow case be nice too? Just a thought.

I have not been able to read, sew, knit or do anything worthwhile to pass my time, which has been greatly frustrating. My dear husband rented 3 DVD's for my enjoyment. I can only really recommend 'Saving Sarah Cain'. It was really touching, and very well done. The other two were fine but didn't really fit into the Phillipians 4:8 framework that we judge our entertainment by.


Now, I think I need a nap. Typing and thinking - both such an effort, you know.

Blessings!

post signature

10 comments:

  1. This flu sounds so miserable! i'm glad you are eating again, and I hope that your strength will return quickly. The pillow cases are such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This too shall pass! Feel back to yourself soon, keep praying for all of you! And for soft pillows!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin is a PA in your town... should I call her LOL.... I am so sorry you had it.. but thankful you're on the uphill side now... wellness prayers being said!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather, I'm so sorry to hear you've been sick. I will pray that you feel all better soon! Gentle (((hugs)))
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear you are on the mend, what a devastating time of sickness! the flu is NOT fun!! Hope your pillow is soft!

    blessings,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kindness! We are on the mend, but busy with 'catch up' - so many lost days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that pillow case idea. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really nice blog. I also like your signature at the bottom of the posts. It is sad that you have the flue it is really awful. I had it and I don't even want to talk about it....haha....

    Thanks,

    George

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulation on the weight loss!! Woohoo!!

    Sorry, just trying to look on the bright side here. Glad you're on the mend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!