Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sunday


For the first Sunday in weeks we were all together enjoying fellowship with our church family - what a blessing! While congestion and coughs seem to be still hanging on, we felt well enough, and hopefully germ free enough to be out and about! What a beautiful spring Sunday too. I hope you are enjoying sunshine as we are!

We have had a pretty normal school week - just trying to catch up in a few areas and make some goals so that we finish the year well. Two months until our year end evaluation - it's sure to go quickly. As the week has warmed and dried out, we have been outside as much as possible. I am using my fabulous garden kneeler - what a difference it makes to be comfortable while weeding.

I've been helping a friend slipcover her sofa and it is going really well. The fabric is fabulous and was so inexpensive, but it is going together so nicely and will be beautiful when it is done. It is taking more time than we had hoped, but we are almost there! We spent some time on it Thursday night, and again yesterday. We are about 2/3 done! Yeah! We are both learning in the process, so it's good to be doing it together!

Did I mention weeding? Mmmmmm ... Our dandelions look like they are on steroids! The roots are thriving - but that may be because they have had a long time to grow - and though I wishfully thought they might die over the winter, they have just made themselves very much at home in our yard. Last summer when we came home from our wonderful time with my parents in North Bay, our garden area was infested with weeds. Since I had a painfully fractured foot, I really didn't make much attempt to tackle them, though I thought about them a great deal. Thinking isn't doing. The weeds stayed - cooler weather set in, and finally some snow covered them up. But did they disappear? No way! So, 30 minutes at a time, I am tackling the weeds before they bloom and make more seeds to flourish in other parts of the yard! I'm actually enjoying it, and seeing some of the spiritual applications in my own life.

My biggest personal 'weed' lately is a fearful lack of faith. The little seeds of 'what if' have taken root in my heart in a way I had not thought possible. This whole immigration question has been a big part of it, but there are other things that worry me.

It's not like these are the first 'bumps in the road' or trials our little family has faced. In fact, I was listening to a lady bitterly recite a grocery list of all of the ills of her life to a friend and thinking ' wow - we've experienced all those things, and more'. Trials are pretty common to us all aren't they? Over and over we have seen first hand the faithfulness of God, His impeccable timing, His provision, and His tender care in our lives throughout the difficulties we have faced. We know His goodness and have tasted His loving kindness. We are no strangers to His mercy, and more and more we see His blessings overflow in our lives. Time and again, God has worked out difficulties that we couldn't see our way past. It surprise me that my 'faith muscles' are still so weak, but they are.

I've been praying a simple prayer as I pulled those weeds. With each long taper root I see, I am remembering another fear and asking God to give me peace in that area. With each little hole I fill with dirt, I am praying,

'Lord, increase my faith.'


I am so blessed to know that God will answer my prayer in ways that will both bless and surprise me, and I am excited to see just how He will increase my faith. There may be more bumps in the road and there are sure to be many many more weeds to pull. What an incredible road we travel as part of the journey of faith!

Blessings,


post signature

7 comments:

  1. Hi...I just want you to know I've been enjoying your blog!
    Keep up the great work!
    God Bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Nanny - your encouragement is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some wonderful thoughts honey. Thanks for sharing.
    Those weeds of doubt sure can take hold and blossom at any time and under all circumstances can't they. And they are sure difficult to get rid of.
    Keep up the good work. We'll talk soon.
    Heffalump

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Heather. Well said.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get back to church! I'm sure you are glad to have the sickness behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather,

    I found your blog through another and I absolutely have enjoyed my visit. It is wonderful to see someone love the Lord through words!

    I have had my share of "doubts" but the Lord sure has been faithful!!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right there with you Heather... thankfully that is a prayer God will answer.... praying with you
    Lea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!