Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Afternoon Pick-me-up!

I guess I'm just too practical for my own good, but when I see people wandering around with big Sonic drinks, I just wonder - why pay for a beverage out when you can make it at home - easily, and deliciously? In the summer months we freeze fruit in season whenever possible. When that runs out, we buy frozen fruit when it is on sale in the grocery store. Both our Meijer's and Kroger carry organic varieties that are really quite nice. There is always some frozen fruit on hand for pies, crisps, cobblers, and one of the things we really like to use it for is smoothies. Today's afternoon snack - Peach Smoothies and gingersnaps! Mmmm! Smoothies are a great 'breakfast on the go' too! Be creative and enjoy!



Peach Smoothies

Serves 4
1 lb. unsweetened frozen peaches (or try strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, sweet cherries, blackberries, bananas etc. - kiwis are a no go - just trust me on this!)
1 1/2 cups yogurt - we like Stonyfield Farm Organic lowfat vanilla, but almost anything is good
2 cups cold milk
2-3 Tablespoons honey (or sugar)

Blend in blender until smooth - add more milk if needed. I use the puree setting. Our children don't like chunks so I make them really smooth, but if you like chunks, just don't blend it as long. You'll need bigger straws, though! I really loved Cultures Chocolate-Banana Smoothies when I was in college, and now I know how to make them - frozen bananas and Chocolate Ovaltine Powder instead of the sugar .... mmmmm! I even like Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothies - adding Chocolate Ovaltine Powder instead of the sugar to frozen strawberries!!!! Yummy! I suppose you could use chocolate syrup, but we usually have Ovaltine on hand, so that's what I use. I just found a web-site that says Ovaltine now contains food dye, and they have taken out the vitamins - so I guess I'll have to check this out! I guess I need to be a more diligent label reader! Why do they have to change things so often?

Mommy Trick .... when the children were smaller and sometimes were not eating properly, our Doctor recommended a small daily amount of Shaklee's Protein powder. They wouldn't drink it in juice or milk, but they didn't even notice it when I put it in a wee Smoothie! I used it all during pregnancy in yummy mild smoothies - it was one of the few things I could keep down!

If you are a smoothie fan and would like to share your favorite combinations, drop me a note in the comments! I like to try new things once in a while.

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try smoothies since there are many fruits I can not stand to eat (the texture of them bothers me). Thanks so much for posting recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this is helpful Amy Jo! We have texture issues here a bit, but everyone loves a smoothie treat! If they give you a 'brain freeze' you can let them warm up a bit and then it is more like the 'store bought' yogurt drinks - frozen is like a wonderful milkshake - which we love best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound good! I think we'll have to have a smoothie around here soon! I am very thankful to have a vitamix, which makes smoothie-making very simple. Maybe with the warmer weather...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your recipe, which sounds delightful! Smoothies are a favorite treat in our home too. It was a blessing to visit your blog for the first time. God bless ~ Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum!! Thank you for sharing! I can't wait to try these out as the days are turning warmer around here. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!