Friday, October 10, 2014

Day 10 {joy}

         
Now this is getting to be a habit with us … meeting here to chat! 
I’m so glad you’ve dropped by for Day 10 of the 31 Day Writing Challenge




Today I’ve had some challenges and two big disappointments, along with a smidgen of worry for my Dreamer who’s not feeling well at all. The sum total of this heart-heavy week, not nearly enough sleep, and THIS day … well, I was beginning to think about hosting myself a little ‘poor me’ party – until I decided to gather up some {joy} reminders and turn my attitude around. I put on my apron and got to work in the kitchen and asked the Lord to bring to mind all the {joy} verses I've learned and to help me be thankful. 


Pies made another day in honor of
my Canadian readers - Happy Thanksgiving! 

I did a little baking and some praying 
... and starting listing my joys.


Have you looked up the dictionary definition of {joy} lately? I think there's been a mix up!  

joy

[joi] 
noun
1. the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation.
2. a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated.
3. the expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.
4. a state of happiness or felicity.


For a Believer, {joy} has a very different definition … and an entirely different source. Most understand that happiness is dependant upon circumstances, while real joy comes from knowing God and living by His Word. Joy cannot be replicated by the deceiver – everything he has to offer is empty and short lived. Joy is not an emotion or a state of gaiety. Abiding {joy} is a gift from God!

True {joy} rises above circumstances so that even in the deepest of struggles or sorrows we can have that abiding joy. Knowing that God is our strength and an ever-present help in times of need brings joy.

Let’s gather {joy} straight from the source!

1. Living each day in the presence of God brings {joy} Psalm 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

2. Living a [joy} filled life IS my strength. Nehemiah 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the Lord is your strength.

3. Twice in one verse! It looks like {joy} in the Lord is NOT optional. Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.

4. Obedience to the Word of God ensures a FULL, lasting, and authentic {joy}. John 15:11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

5. Taking refuge in the Lord and giving Him my praise brings {joy}. Psalm 27:5-7 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord. Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.

6. {Joy} carries me when I have no strength of my own. James 1:2-3 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
 
 7. The Word of God is THE source of {joy}. Psalm 119:110-112 The wicked have laid a snare for me: yet I erred not from thy precepts. Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart. I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway, even unto the end.



8. Exceeding {joy}? The {joy} of the Lord is MORE than enough to keep me from falling. Jude 1:24-25 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

I don't know what kind of a week you've had, but I do pray that you've had the joy of the Lord in all of the ups and downs you faced. 
If you do not have a personal relationship with God, the true {joy} Giver, I pray that you will seek Him with all your heart. He will bring people into your life who can take you through the Bible and help you understand how you can have eternal life with God one day, and a {joy} filled life today.


2 comments:

  1. I wonder if a lot of women throughout the generations found joy returning as they "baked something". Except for when I'm feeling extra fatigued, just getting in the kitchen and cooking and baking has often been a source of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good place to sort my thoughts and pray through problems - in fact I have 'pray' as a reminder above my stove. One time a service guy was over doing a repair and he joked that I had 'pray' above the stove because my cooking was so bad! My little Storyteller piped up and and defended my cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!