BEFORE: My friend Mrs. M will recognize this chair - she found it in the garbage! She used it in their home for a number of years before she passed it on to me. I'm sad to say that it has taken me over a year to get to it. I stripped it down to the bare frame, repaired the cracked frame, sanded and stained the legs and arms and then let it sit - forever. I finally got up the courage to replace the webbing and re-tie the springs. What a job - now I know why they charge so much for spring repair. I replaced the padding and finally put some pretty fabric on it. It is super comfy!
AFTER: Mum, do you remember our soft sage curtains in our last home? I recycled them! I still love this fabric and the price was right. This chair is going in our bedroom. No doubt you'll not see it for the pile of clothes that will land on it, but one can always dream - right?
A few years ago we bought 4 chairs for $5 from a 'hole in the wall'
antiques junk shop. They went pretty well with some inherited chairs from the Historian's side of the family - and the price was right. We've used them as spares when we stretched the table for guests. Sadly, the caning is old and brittle, and replacing it is a lost art. I came up with an alternative for one of the broken chairs, and I am really happy with how it turned out!
This is Dreamer's 'new' desk chair and she loves it!!! I used Krylon 'Blue Ocean Breeze' in gloss after a few coats of primer. I love the splash of color in her room! I cut a piece of plywood and sanded it smooth before adding lots of layers of padding and covering it with fabric. You can bet I used the Scotch Guard on this one. The striped fabric co-ordinates with her quilt which is machine quilted and ready to be picked up today. Next step is to be bound along the edges with some homemade bias binding.
It has to be sewn by hand!
My, oh my - that will be a job - but I can't wait.
Her new wall color is Behr's 'Cool Jazz'.
Her slipper chair got a slip cover - inspired by Pier One - you can read about the chair's long and checkered history HERE, if you like. It's quite a departure from the former sweet pink floral. We sanded the legs and painted them brown. They are still ugly, but at least the dust bunnies can't hide under her chair anymore. I chose to recover in a cotton duck and then slipcover because it seemed like a case of more work now for less work later - she won't always love this funky slipcover, so I'll be set to easily trade it out when she gets tired of it.
Dreamer's lamps also got a coat of Krylon 'Blue Ocean Breeze' - one lamp she had, and other was a $4 Goodwill find. I used scraps of quilt fabric for the shade covers.
Her valances are done too - so fresh and fun!
I guess that's all for now. As soon as the quilt is done, I will do a complete Dreamer's Room Show and Tell. This project is taking more energy than I have right now, but it is so worth it to see her delight in her new room. Projects done by inches sometimes seem more special - and we are still having fun even when we get sidetracked by the general business of life.