Friday, January 29, 2010

Company Girl Coffee - January 29, 2010

Actually, we have lovely hot tea this week.  I hope that's o.k.!  It's 'Berry Treat' and it's quite good with strawberry jam tarts, which is what I am enjoying! Oh!  Dreamer made some yummy snickerdoodles too, so the cookie jar is full. Will you join me?



I've been entirely absent from my blog again this week.  I read your sweet comments about my mantle-scape and dinner with appreciation!  So much kind encouragement is a blessing to my heart.  We did have a nice time getting to know our in-reach group from church a bit better.  I am afraid the Historian and I felt quite ancient compared to the young couples that attended, but we found some common ground despite the vast age gap and had a nice time.  I was panicking just before the dinner because the coffee maker kept tripping breakers, thus not heating up properly.  I don't make coffee ever unless we have company, so I forget that it draws a lot of power and cannot be plugged in with another appliance.  Some day this house should probably be rewired! I was very tired for two days after our dinner, though I did get out to Sunday School and both church services Sunday and was both challenged and blessed. 

 
It just seemed like we plunged right back into things Monday with a slight change of routine that threw the rest of my week off! Generally I have Monday morning 'off' while the Historian does a week's worth of history with both children and I get to putter around, do laundry, organize the fridge, menu and shopping list and run an errand alone if needed.  This week, he needed to head to work early and will this coming week as well, so we headed straight into schoolwork! It was a hard transition for Storyteller, who doesn't take change without warning well, so it made for some bumps in the road, but we did have a solid educational week and even ended with a Home School Co-op field trip today, which was quite fun for the children, and I enjoyed it as well.  We didn't get lost getting there or home, so that's always a bonus!



As well as growing strong minds, and godly characters, we've been noticing changes under the grow lights as well.  The chives are well up and the romaine lettuce is ready for transplant - that's on my list for the weekend.  I will be planting more in a few weeks when it is a more reasonable time to do so, but this was fun and hopefully, this year we will have chives!  I am planning to tear out all of the catnip and beebalm and that way, Mr. Peppermint (our outdoor cat) will have no excuse for traipsing through the herb garden and squishing the chives!



I was really faithful with my Company Girl Small Things this month and totaled a whole bunch of points doing little things that needed to be done around the house to make our home run more smoothly and also be a place of quiet beauty for our family.  What a joy it has been to have a tidy desk and cleaned off counter, and to be able to get in the door without tripping over a dozen pairs of shoes!  Even matching up socks was a game when the kids knew we were getting points, so that was a good thing!



RachelAnne challenged us to make out tables a priority and pretty them up a wee bit this week.  This is our winter centerpiece - better in person than pictured.  Our centerpiece has to be quickly movable in case of spills and kid proof, and I usually shop the house for the 'ingredients'. Trays work well because you can get it out of the way quickly.  We do school at our table each day and than clean off well for meals, but on Friday I give it a cleaning and put a nice runner or washable quilt on the table to make it nice for the weekend.

To be honest, I struggled with discouragement this week - just being tired of being tired. Tired of complaining too. Chronic illness can be a real struggle at times, and often sends me to my heavenly Father to pray for strength, encouragement and wisdom. I am back to walking each day and drinking more water and that is a help, but I think it was mostly just ongoing gray weather and  galloping hormones.  After school yesterday we got out of the house for a while and ran 5 short errands!  It was good, much needed and somehow brightened my week - and disaster free! Remarkable! It was very cold but bright, I got to check things off my list for a change, Dreamer was so pleased to finally get new shoes, and we even made it to the library before they sent my requested books back!



I did get some work in on Dreamer's quilt top - in fact we are almost done!  I have the name of a machine quilter who is reasonable so that's that next step after I put the borders on. The next big hurdle is getting her room painted - such a big job to move all of her STUFF!  Maybe it will be a good time to purge and clean out so that she has less mess to cope with!  As we were working on the quilt she just kept saying 'I LOVE it!'. I'm so glad she does!
I have 3 dozen cinnamon rolls to make for a ladies brunch tomorrow, so I'd better be off for now, but I hope you enjoyed your tea and will come back again, and I will try to be better at taking pictures and recording the little things here on my quiet little blog!

post signature

16 comments:

  1. I have been feeling quite horrible here. I don't think my body likes the very cold temperatures.

    Christopher had a very difficult time with change when he was younger. Now I find he handles change at school very well but likes to come home to have everything the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda - I'm sorry you aren't feeling well - I've had such a struggle to keep internally warm even with layers of warm clothes and a warm home. It's exhausting! Our boys seem to have so much in common - I so appreciate your encouragement! Knowing that others have 'made it through' brilliantly with a boy 'gifted' with ADHD is a blessing - for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first visit to your blog and what an inspiration it was to me. Enjoyed the "peek" into your life and will be back for another visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are feeling better & that your homeschool week ended up where you wanted it to be. That's always encouraging.

    Your grow-light garden looks great. You're making me feel completely lazy! lol

    Blessings, Kim W<><

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love snickerdoodle cookies! I need to make them again here soon.

    I'm sorry to hear you've struggled with discouragement this week. I hope that your weekend is better. I'll say a prayer for you tonight.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm praying for a nice weekend for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling great! Hopefully you will get some rest this weekend and return to your usual weekly schedule rejuvenated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel better soon. You are one busy mama! The plants are looking great. I'm a beginner gardener (and homeschooler too!) with lots to learn.

    You are very creative and I pray God will fill you up to overflowing so that you will continue to do your creative stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt top is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also struggle with chronic pain so am perpetually tired as result. Some days it's really difficult to muster up the ambition to do anything...sometimes it is discouraging, for sure. Lovely quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many things to comment on, Heather. 1. LOVE the tablescape!!! Gorgeous and wintery...I want it. 2. I want your chalkboard. Is that done with a a chalk pen? I want to put a chalk board in my kitchen so I can put memory verses on it but I want to get something with a cute frame. 3. You got a ton of things done even though you didn't feel well. You should feel proud of yourself. 4. Battled my own discouragement this week, gotta climb outa that hole. 5. Love the quilt top! I'm in love with turquoise right now.

    Does this feel like a hit and run comment?? I'm sorry about that! I hope you have a great weekend...thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That quilt is beautiful! What great fabric!

    Sorry you are not feeling well, I know it is hard to keep going in those times but how blessed to have a Heavenly Father who is your strength when you are weak!

    The tablescape is lovely but I REALLY love the chalkboard with the verse. Oh how I wish I had just a touch of decorating talent!

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your winter centerpiece. So creative. The quilt is beautiful, love the blues.
    I love your decorating style too. The chalkboard is a great idea.
    I hope you feel better this week. May you find time to rest during your busy week.
    LydiaCate

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first time I read your blog from my phone so some of the pics didn't show up, and the comment box didn't appear. I'm so glad I came back. Wow! Lettuce, chives...and that quilt looks great! Love the chalkboard too. It sounds like an up and down week, but good for you for getting so much done. Hope it has been a restful weekend. Have a wonderful week. I can't believe it's already February.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've prayed for you today, that you continue to be able to get out in the sunshine and walk. That your spirits are lifted.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a new visitor here, and you mention chronic illness. I want to share a Bible verse, and first must tell you that I love your nicknames for your family, like The Historian.
    "He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy." Job 8:21

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!