Friday, January 22, 2010

I shouldn't be blogging ...




Everyone here at home has been such a big help to me today so I thought I'd take a moment to sit down and say hello! It does feel good to sit!  We are having 5 couples over for a planned potluck dinner tonight.  Can you smell my lasagna sauce?  The other ladies are bringing salads, bread and desserts, so it should be a nice time.  Our children are excited about hanging out in the Grammy flat with games, a craft, a video and special snacks to munch on.  I hope that they are very well behaved.  The house is pretty tidy (far from perfect, but we'll turn the lights down low!) and I just need to check to see if bathrooms are clean and put out some fresh towels! Oh, and now that I am done cooking, the kitchen floor needs a quick wash again!  I'm a messy cook.

I am finally happy with my winter 'mantle scape' - it took a bit of trial and error.  I didn't want to spend any money, so I kept some just winter stuff out when we put Christmas decor away, and than I made a little banner with a thrifted bit of linen left from a shift that I made into a pillow.  Too fun.  The mittens are felted wool scraps and I sewed them by machine using wooly nylon thread in the upper because I was too tired to do what I wanted by hand.  It works pretty well, but someday I'll hand embroider a real mitten banner with blanket stitch and lazy daisy snowflakes.  Someday! The stick on felt letters I've had almost forever - since my practice teaching days. That's a long time ago! We call it the never ending alpha-felt.  I am always worried when I go to search for just the right letters for a word that I will have run out, but I never have!



I've been thinking about all of the blogs that I read earlier this month that talked about putting 'Christmas away' - I am hoping that with the season of joy behind us, the Reason for Joy is still with us.  I know it is hard to find joy when our hearts are sorrowing for all the struggles we are surrounded by, both big and small.  Goodness knows that just the fog, ice and greyness of the past few weeks have tried to rob me of my joy - it's been really hard to get out of bed and face another dull, damp day.  Hibernation is seriously under-rated, in my estimation!  Seriously though, Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever is the real source of my joy, and I can face the trials of each day because I know His great love for me.

Well, it's been nice to sit a bit and chat, but I'd better mosey on back to the kitchen and make sure all is well. I'm linking up with Rachel and the rest of the Company Girls join in the coffee party for today!
Have a lovely weekend with your family!




post signature
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog... I love the Winter banner you created~very nice. I hope your evening turns out well. :-)

    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the winter scape on your mantle!! Beautiful!

    Hope you have a great time tonight! Maybe that will help lift the winter blahs a bit. I know what you mean about the fog...we haven't seen the sun here in Omaha in 11 days!

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mantle...very pretty! Hope your dinner party went well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the banner you made!!

    Thank you again for taking time to help me with the dishwasher. It encouraged me so much. And, it clarified a few things (like not putting the vinegar in EVERY time I fill up the rinse aid. :) I just bought the lemi shine this morning so will run it when I get the washer emptied. I'm optimistic that I will see great progress in the coming week.

    You know, I find "brain candy" books are what I gravitate toward as well, as much as I wish I were reading some other things. I am needing to read more "real" books for the cooking blog, so that is helping. But I do use books for what many others use tv and that's why it is nice just to read something where you don't have to think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the banner and the whole winter mantle scape! Thank you for the reminder that the reason for the joy is the same EVERY day! It's far too easy to get past the holidays and forget about all that. I should work harder at being in the spirit all year long.

    Thanks for the "coffee"!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. So enjoyed my first visit to your blog. What a lovely mantle piece and decor. I bet your gathering on Friday was lots of fun and I know those that came appreciated your efforts. I'll be back for visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful job! Hope you had a lovely evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!