Monday, January 18, 2010

The Simple Woman's Daybook

A big 'thank-you' to Peggy for hosting 'The Simple Woman's Daybook' each week! It's such a great way to start the week with a focus and reflect upon the goodness of God!
Be sure to click on the picture below to visit Peggy and see the other journal keepers!


FOR TODAY

Monday, January 18, 2010

Outside my window... fog and mist - our snow has melted and we are looking at dead grass and dirt - lots of dirt! How do I know that the sunroom floor with be a mess for the next few days? Well, I washed it 3 times over the weekend!

I am hearing ... the grandfather clock ticking away, traffic on the road, a whistling boy, the swish of the washing machine and the click clack of my typing!

I am thinking ... about my friend June and her family! She called last night and we re-connected after months and months! What a blessing!

I am thankful for... friendships that stand the test of time and distance!

I am praying for ... Haiti. My heart has been overwhelmed with grief for the people of Haiti and all that they have suffered. Having briefly ministered to Haitian refugees living in the Dominican Republic years ago, I know that they have an amazingly strong spirit, and those who know the Lord are tremendously joyful despite impossible circumstances.

I am remembering ... the challenge of the message we heard at church yesterday morning to take the next step in our Christian walk.

I am wearing ... long denim skirt, white turtleneck, blue zippered hoodie and tights - very comfy and warm. My hair is still wet, but I have to tell you that I had it cut and colored last week and to my great joy - the color is not Elvira black this time - it is my own color without the white! I didn't know how fearful I was of another bad color job until I made the appointment, and almost canceled it! I only went back to the same place because they sent me a great coupon!

I am going ... later I plan to take Dreamer to piano and ballet, and hopefully, Storyteller and I will run a few errands, depending on my energy levels.

I am reading ... recipes and romance (currently re-reading Cathy Marie Hake's books) - nothing deep at all! I am hoping to catch up in our Bible reading, but I'm not stressing about it, since it is to be a joy and not a drudgery.

I am hoping ... that this week is better health wise. I had a very hard week with my liver struggles last week and I am hoping that with rest and prayer, this will be a better week.

On my mind ... we have a 'couples only' dinner here on Friday for our inreach/outreach group from church. It is a potluck, but I need to tidy and straighten and figure out what we are doing with our children! I think since we don't have a sitter they will hang out with a video, some games and some special treats in the grammy flat - that should be fun!

From the learning rooms ... The Historian will be teaching history this morning and than we will do our regular school schedule.

Noticing that... somehow the dishes from last night didn't make it to the dishwasher - yuck! Time to tackle the kitchen and get going with the day!

Pondering these words...

1 Corinthians 3:11-14 (King James Version)

11For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.


From the kitchen... I was hoping to try some new recipes over the weekend, but I didn't get to it! I have a stack of great sounding main course recipes that I want to try, but my energy levels have been pretty low! Maybe this week or next week! The recipes aren't going anywhere, and I am sure my family wouldn't mind if I torture surprise them with trying new things for a few more weeks!

I am creating ... order out of the mess of papers on my desk ... again!

Around the house ... beds striped and ready for laundry. The bathrooms need a quick going over and Rachel Anne at Home Sanctuary has us rounding up stragglers this morning! We FINALLY got the Christmas tree and bins back in the attic and the Historian is setting up the grow light in the furnace room so that I can be starting more seeds soon!

One of my favorite things ... catching up with a dear, sweet friend! Cuddling with my sweet boy while he tells me a story, playing UNO with my precious silly girl, laughing and praying with my dear husband - all my favorite things!

A few plans for the rest of the week..... a bit of cleaning for every room in prepartion for company Friday, some catching up with Mount Ironmore, school, AWANA, ballet, piano, Homeschool Co-op and rest ... lots of extra rest, I hope!

From my picture journal ...

I do know how crazy it is to be starting seeds in January in Ohio, but I just couldn't help myself! This romaine lettuce sprouting in 2 days ( yes, I'll need to thin it) - and I have chives on the other side of the tray! I've been drooling over seed catalogs and this is the result! Lettuce is a cool weather crop, after all! I was a bit disappointed with these Burpee Seed Starter trays - the pellets don't seem to fill the cells like I'd hoped at all! I guess I'll soon know if it all works out!

Have a great week!

post signature

8 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with my dishes last Monday! I hope you feel better this week and get to try your new dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been feeling pretty bad here, too. I think this cold-ish damp weather doesn't help on top of chronic illness. Started a new round of antibiotics to get rid of a UTI.

    My biggest challenges with the dishes right now is with both the guys being gone off and on at night. Last night I had the kitchen looking great but both of them ended up needing food late at night. Of course, the dishes were waiting this morning. :)

    Hope you soon feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are doing better with your health. Thanks for sharing about your day.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how it is to want to start the seedlings. Honey Bear is already planning how he is going to do it. We have a sunny window in the pantry and he puts them there.
    I hope you feel better this week and get the things done that you want to.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pray your health will continue to do better. I am anxious to start seeds also, need to wait a little yet for our area, but pouring over the seed catalogs.
    Enjoy reading your simple woman's day book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you talked with your old friend. That's always such a treat. I love couples only nights. It's nice to have grown ups to talk with about the Lord. I hope you have a wonderful night. I'm sure the children are well behaved. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm impressed that you've started your seeds already. What do you do w/them if you can't plant them yet...just transplant into bigger containers?

    Glad you're feeling better. Have a great week.

    Blessings, Kim<><

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Heather - I hope you are feeling a little better toward the end of the week. I was wondering if you were forcing any bulbs, but I see it is seeds. :) I need to pull out a few bulbs to try.

    Thank you so much for the comment about the dishwasher. I read about the vinegar just a day or so ago and have filled up my rinse aid and will do so every 3 washes or so.

    now, I bought some liquid detergent to try instead of the powder. Is that a good idea? First try with about 1 teaspoon of soap -- no grit, but many of the dishes were still dirty. Hmmm.... I'm trying about 1+ Tablespoons tonight. Should I just use the powder with the vinegar and then try this Lem Shine too? Someone else from church mentioned Lemi Shine. And someone else did mention that Lime Away but also said to wait until after the baby comes. I was so discouraged last week I was thinking we would have to get a water softener ASAP, but maybe if I can get the dishwasher under control we could go without it (which would be helpful).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!