Friday, March 11, 2011

Hands Down

**** UPDATE****
I just wanted to say thank you all for your kind sympathy and for praying for me.  I am still in a lot of pain, but it is better.  I am learning what I can do and what I cannot and using 'helps' wherever I can.  Including take-out pizza! Anything to save my hands.



My hands are down - quite literally.  

They've been racked with constant pain, intermittent swelling and spasms since Tuesday.  Cold hurts, warmth helps short term.  Rest might be good, but how does one function without their hands?  Today they were good enough to drive to art class and the library, to help finish two AWANA Grand Prix cars, to bake a few cookies for tomorrow's event and to type a few words here and there.  An improvement since yesterday I couldn't even hold a book (gasp) or my spoon at supper without crying.  I see the doctor next week.  This could be liver related, since my whole being is affected by the disease, or it could be something entirely different.  
We shall see.
In the meantime we are thankful for the pain alerting me to something amiss, and thankful to have access to medical care. I'm thankful for 44 years of useful, mostly pain free hands, and thankful that my worth is not wrapped up in what they accomplish each day, but rather in Who they are at work for. 




7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your hands- So grateful that you are remembering Who's you are and pray you are leaning on the breast of Jesus during this time. He Loves you so-

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you often! It is so hard for us not to become our illness when it affects every minute of every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you. Pain is a hard thing to live with but teaches at the same time, at least that's been my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather! I'm so sorry. I have often wondered how I would deal with something affecting my hands (like arthritis). It would be hard to give up doing so many things. I hope that the drs will find an answer to this.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Heather ... I'd be interesting in finding out what the deal is with the hands? I've got an appointment on Tuesday with a neurologist for an EMG ... my primary care doctor seems to think I have arthritis AND carpal tunnel *gasp* ... I hope that isn't so ... I type 20 hours a day it seems between work and blogging and everything in between ... same thing though ... some days its so bad I could just cry and other days, absolutely NOTHING (like this morning so far) ... odd. Good luck and hang tight :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you and wondering how your hands are doing and what you found out at the doctor's appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. May you soon be healed 100%!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!