Monday, April 5, 2010

Strawberry Cream Mold

 .... or a bowl full of yummy!  Whatever you call it, it was a huge hit at our lovely Easter Dinner yesterday, so I thought I'd share the secrets of my Mum's sweet gelled salad. I have to admit that I have often had trouble 'molding' this salad, as in putting it in an 8 cup ring mold and getting it to 'unmold' prettily. We've enjoyed many many 'flops' as  I have about a 50/50 success rate!  My 'stand by' now is to make it in a big glass bowl.  Yesterday, I doubled it and 14 people almost cleaned it up - and there were a lot of other delicious things to eat too!

Strawberry Cream Mold
1 3oz. package strawberry jello
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup ice water
1 1 oz. envelope of plain unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup ice cold water
1 quart strawberries
1 3/4 cups whipping cream divided
3/4 cup sour cream or whipped soft cream cheese (our preference)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup good strawberry jam, room temperature - puree if chunky variety

 Dissolve strawberry jello in boiling water. Stir well.  Add 1/2 cup ice water and stir until ice has melted.  Refrigerate until softly set.
 Sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water in a glass measuring cup and let sit for 5 minutes until softened. Place measuring cup of gelatin in a small pot with about an inch of boiling water (as for a double boiler) and allow gelatin in measuring cup to dissolve - it will become clear.  Remove cup from boiling water and let cool to room temperature.
 Whip 3/4 cup of whipping cream with 1/2 cup sugar until stiff.  Fold in sour cream or cream cheese and cooled gelatin. Mix well. Refrigerate.

Wash and remove strawberry stems.  Slice strawberries and fold into softly set jello.  Pour 1/2 of the berry mixture into large glass bowl or if you are using an 8 cup jello mold, place 1/2 in the mold.  Refrigerate if too soft to 'hold' cream mixture.

Layer berry mixture, cream mixture, berry mixture in bowl or mold. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours if  you are planning to be brave and unmold!  Unmold and garnish with fresh berries or piped whip cream.  I like to make a batch of 'strawberry whip cream' by whipping 1 cup of whip cream until stiff and folding in good strawberry preserves.  I smooth this over the last berry mixture layer in my bowl and than garnish.  I have often doubled this for my big 14 cup glass bowl and taken it to potlucks!  Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I must make that!

    I still have your post with the scone recipe saved to make, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so pretty! What a great strawberry cluster. Bring on summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks and sounds so good! I'm contemplating strawberry rhubarb pie for Sunday (with my own rhubarb!!!). BTW, my rhubarb is green -- the one variety. I'm assuming it's just going to be extra sour. Do you think I should pull it up and start over???

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather - green rhubarb is just as tasty - don't get rid of it!!! Did you plant it last year - if so, go very lightly when harvesting - they say really we ought to wait until the third year to harvest, but I am always a bit impatient - killed a few plants that way too ... ooops!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!