Monday, December 5, 2011

Always a finalist ... but never a winner?


Last week I was so wonderfully surprised to be selected as a finalist
in Family Circle/ Curel Katie Brown contest - but I didn't win! 

 Photo from Family Circle

It was one of those up, up, up and suddenly back down to earth kind of things!  I was so excited and so nervous to be interviewed by phone on Friday.  I didn't get much sleep the night before. My hands were clammy and my mouth felt like it was full of cotton. I couldn't think straight, but that didn't stop my words from spilling out! Too many words. I really hoped I was doing better with that, but apparently not - I need another lesson from my Historian who always engages his brain before speaking!  My interviewers were lovely to talk to though, and overall it was a good experience.

When I didn't get the final confirmation call late Friday afternoon, I was pretty sad because I'd been so very hopeful.  Ah, well - hopefully some other mum in a muddle will benefit from a bunch of wonderful Curel lotion and Katie Brown's expert advice and help!

I think Dreamer and I squealed these - wouldn't they be cute across a mantle?


I'll be honest, I didn't really know much about Katie Brown before the contest. Are you surprised? Don't forget, we don't have t.v. and I don't get out much!  Being a lover of dishes, I have often admired the different collections of Katie Brown home decor items at our Meijer's store. Even though her items are good quality and very reasonable I've done lots of admiring, very little buying! 

 Can't you just see this covered in the kids homemade gingerbread cookies? Yum!

Now I know that she has her own PBS  t.v. show, a blog, some fabulous idea books which include lots of home crafting ideas and some simple but yummy looking recipes.  I have borrowed them from our library for now, but I think I might like to buy them for my own bookshelf. I have also learned that she's an adoptive mom too, which of course is so close to our hearts! I really enjoyed watching some of her segments via YouTube videos - her enthusiasm is contagious and her projects and recipes are simple and inspiring. I guess you could say I am a new 'fan', and my little world has been just slightly expanded in a pleasant way.

All in all it's been a sweet little ripple of excitement in our otherwise pretty ordinary week - I was laughing with Mum on the phone that I'm 'always a finalist, never a winner', but that's not quite true!  I've now been a finalist in three contests that I purposefully entered into since September and have not won one, but over the years we've won some pretty lovely and unexpected items that I'm very thankful for.

Every day we sit down at a solid oak table that my husband won 11 years ago during a Christian radio contest for Pastor appreciation month. A dear friend in our church family entered us in that drawing so it was a complete and wonderful surprise. I look up from my place at the table at a beautiful wall clock that we won a couple of years ago without ever trying.  So, we've been unexpectedly blessed with some lovely stuff - but it's just stuff.

Our real blessings don't need to be maintained, dusted, wound or refinished. 
Our real blessing are eternal - the blessings of God in our lives. 
In those things we are very, very rich!

 Blessings,

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!