I am following Lisa's lead at The Pennington Point and posting a crazy list of 25 things that are on my mind today! I feel very random, so buckle your seat belt because I'm not sure where we are heading ...
1. I love having Monday morning 'off', but the rest of the day can be pretty crazy. My husband goes in to work after lunch on Monday so he takes part of the morning to teach History. I organize my week, start laundry and sometimes run errands, but I have to remember to save some energy because we have piano, baseball and ballet on Mondays. Whew!
2. Today it is so incredibly windy that I dared not put the laundry out to dry ... I was worried about the shaggy mares in the field behind us finding their pristine pasture littered with our clean unmentionables!
3. I desperately need a warm and windless day to paint - the wicker porch furniture needs a fresh coat and so do the free cabinets I hope to hang in the playroom to make a crafty nook for the children. If I don't get one soon, I am going to try to construct a cheap 'clean room' paint booth in the driveway.
4. I won another recipe contest - the Get Ready Emergency Stockpile Recipe Contest - the prize is awesome! I can't wait to receive my Emergency Preparedness Kit from the American Red Cross! I used to carry a roll of duct tape in my purse, but in trying to lighten the load I removed it. It's amazing how often I reach for it and it isn't there!
5. The kids had way too much fun doing history with The Historian this morning! Giggling and laughter aren't supposed to be part of a serious history class, are they? I plan to have them go over their notes again and see what they really learned!
7. Wind + Curls = Medusa Mama
8. There is nothing more beautiful than the giggles of a 14 year old girl. Even when she's laughing at your wild hair after a walk!
9. I hobbled around all weekend because of huge splits in my heels and toes. Ouch! I've got dry feet in the genes, dry feet due to hypothyroidism and I wear sandals. You think I might remember to baby my feet a bit before these painful cracks happen, but I don't. The Historian spent a lot of time rubbing cream into the cracks, so I'm hobbling less today.
10. It is so helpful that our Storyteller likes peanut butter this year. So helpful. Thank you to author Rick Riordan and his loveable peanut butter loving cyclops Tyson. Making pre-practice snacks when I don't have a lot of leftovers on hand is sooooo much easier!
11. Last week as we were discussing the problems with the new health care plan Storyteller declared ' I would rather face a firing squad than be forced to abort a baby if I were a doctor in America.' I am praying his words are not prophetic.
12. Am I really only half way there with this list? Um. Well okay. Half is good.
13. We don't live in a fishbowl any longer. Our new neighbours had a new 5' white vinyl fence erected between their driveway and our back patio on Friday. It replaces the 40 year old cedar hedge that they removed in the fall. I really appreciate having our privacy back, but I still hate plastic fences. We will get used to it and I love the idea of zero maintenance.
14. I desperately miss the humming birds that lived in the cedars. Do you think they will ever come back?
15. I miss having a 'cookie' path between our home and the neighbour's - though we will continue to send cookies their way since they are greatly appreciated.
16. My sermons notes from yesterday are very sketchy - we studied one verse, or rather the first 1/2 of one verse. Galatians 4:4 "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,". I learned so much about the 'fullness' of time that I didn't know. We were all over our Bibles defining it and digging deeper into all Christ was made to be for us - flesh, sin, a quickening spirit, wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption.
17. I borrowed this cookbook from the library and fell hard for all the great recipes it contains. The Historian spoiled me and ordered it and now I am happily baking my way from cover to cover! We have the Adult Sunday school class breakfast for 40 this coming Sunday and I hope to make a few new things from this book to share!
18. I have an upholstery job to do this week - 6 dining room chairs. They are super simple and I am hoping they go well, but I know it's the tearing off of the old covers that will take the most time. I always get stuck by a wayward staple or two ... or ten.
19. I am not looking forward to grocery shopping tonight because I am already running out of energy. Maybe if I reward myself with a quick trip to the garden center ...
20. Dreamer is all too attached to her new keyboard. It was a very unexpected blessing last week and she is thrilled beyond thrilled! She is still practicing for hours on end for her examination on April 28th. She now has all 15 Bach pieces but is shaky on the last 3. She has worked incredibly hard, but three weeks of a nasty infection really set her back. I am praying she will be ready.
21. I have never seen a finer crop of dandelions than ours. I am not proud of them, I'm just saying - we have the nicest batch on the block. Perhaps the only batch ...
22. My herb garden is flourishing and is wildly out of control. I have to share some with friends or expand the garden ... soon.
23. My dear friend and former dorm-mate June and her husband are coming for a visit next week. We have not seen one another in 4 or 5 years and I am super excited. At the same time I wish I was further along on my spring painting project list.
24. I wore a summer skirt on Sunday that has not fit in more than a year - it has elastic at the back and was uncomfortably tight but now it fit. Yeah!
25. Whew! I'm at the end of the list at last. That was harder than I thought it would be! Thanks for reading to the end!