Monday, April 16, 2012

25 Things for Monday



 I am following Lisa's lead at The Pennington Point and posting a crazy list of 25 things that are on my mind today!  I feel very random, so buckle your seat belt because I'm not sure where we are heading ...

1. I love having Monday morning 'off', but the rest of the day can be pretty crazy.  My husband goes in to work after lunch on Monday so he takes part of the morning to teach History.  I organize my week, start laundry and sometimes run errands, but I have to remember to save some energy because we have piano, baseball and ballet on Mondays.  Whew!

2. Today it is so incredibly windy that I dared not put the laundry out to dry ... I was worried about the shaggy mares in the field behind us finding their pristine pasture littered with our clean unmentionables!

3. I desperately need a warm and windless day to paint - the wicker porch furniture needs a fresh coat and so do the free cabinets I hope to hang in the playroom to make a crafty nook for the children. If I don't get one soon, I am going to try to construct a cheap 'clean room' paint booth in the driveway.



4. I won another recipe contest - the  Get Ready Emergency Stockpile Recipe Contest - the prize is awesome!  I can't wait to receive my Emergency Preparedness Kit from the American Red Cross! I used to carry a roll of duct tape in my purse, but in trying to lighten the load I removed it. It's amazing how often I reach for it and it isn't there!


5. The kids had way too much fun doing history with The Historian this morning!  Giggling and laughter aren't supposed to be part of a serious history class, are they? I plan to have them go over their notes again and see what they really learned!
 
6. My hot rollers are my good friends right now.  I saw some recent pictures of myself and decided that curls are more flattering.  I am happy to report that my hair is thickening up a bit after falling out by the handful in December and January, but it is pretty lackluster.  Leaving the hot rollers in too long is not a good thing, and answering the door with them in is just plain humiliating.  Our poor mail carrier didn't know what to say ...


7. Wind + Curls = Medusa Mama


8. There is nothing more beautiful than the giggles of a 14 year old girl. Even when she's laughing at your wild hair after a walk!

9. I hobbled around all weekend because of huge splits in my heels and toes.  Ouch! I've got dry feet in the genes, dry feet due to hypothyroidism and I wear sandals.  You think I might remember to baby my feet a bit before these painful cracks happen, but I don't.  The Historian spent a lot of time rubbing cream into the cracks, so I'm hobbling less today.





10. It is so helpful that our Storyteller likes peanut butter this year.  So helpful. Thank you to author Rick Riordan and his loveable peanut butter loving cyclops Tyson.  Making pre-practice snacks when I don't have a lot of leftovers on hand is sooooo much easier!


11. Last week as we were discussing the problems with the new health care plan Storyteller declared ' I would rather face a firing squad than be forced to abort a baby if I were a doctor in America.' I am praying his words are not prophetic.


12. Am I really only half way there with this list? Um. Well okay. Half is good. 





13. We don't live in a fishbowl any longer. Our new neighbours had a new 5' white vinyl fence erected between their driveway and our back patio on Friday. It replaces the 40 year old cedar hedge that they removed in the fall.  I really appreciate having our privacy back, but I still hate plastic fences. We will get used to it and I love the idea of zero maintenance.


14. I desperately miss the humming birds that lived in the cedars. Do you think they will ever come back?


15. I miss having a 'cookie' path between our home and the neighbour's - though we will continue to send cookies their way since they are greatly appreciated.


16. My sermons notes from yesterday are very sketchy - we studied one verse, or rather the first 1/2 of one verse. Galatians 4:4 "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,".  I learned so much about the 'fullness' of time that I didn't know.  We were all over our Bibles defining it and digging deeper into all Christ was made to be for us - flesh, sin, a quickening spirit, wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption.

Home Baked Comfort (Williams-Sonoma): Featuring Mouthwatering Recipes and Tales of the Sweet Life with Favorites from Bakers Across the Country

17. I borrowed this cookbook from the library and fell hard for all the great recipes it contains.  The Historian spoiled me and ordered it and now I am happily baking my way from cover to cover!  We have the Adult Sunday school class breakfast for 40 this coming Sunday and I hope to make a few new things from this book to share!

18. I have an upholstery job to do this week - 6 dining room chairs.  They are super simple and I am hoping they go well, but I know it's the tearing off of the old covers that will take the most time. I always get stuck by a wayward staple or two ... or ten.

19. I am not looking forward to grocery shopping tonight because I am already running out of energy. Maybe if I reward myself with a quick trip to the garden center ...

20. Dreamer is all too attached to her new keyboard.  It was a very unexpected blessing last week and she is thrilled beyond thrilled! She is still practicing for hours on end for her examination on April 28th.  She now has all 15 Bach pieces but is shaky on the last 3.  She has worked incredibly hard, but three weeks of a nasty infection really set her back. I am praying she will be ready.


21. I have never seen a finer crop of dandelions than ours. I am not proud of them, I'm just saying - we have the nicest batch on the block. Perhaps the only batch ...



22. My herb garden is flourishing and is wildly out of control.  I have to share some with friends or expand the garden ... soon.

23. My dear friend and former dorm-mate June and her husband are coming for a visit next week.  We have not seen one another in 4 or 5 years and I am super excited.  At the same time I wish I was further along on my spring painting project list.

24. I wore a summer skirt on Sunday that has not fit in more than a year - it has elastic at the back and was uncomfortably tight but now it fit. Yeah!

25. Whew!  I'm at the end of the list at last. That was harder than I thought it would be! Thanks for reading to the end!

blessings,


post signature

10 comments:

  1. Love your mlist Honey. Glad the unmentionables didn't get blown onto the horses down the street. And I am happy that Dreamer is enjoying her keyboard. What does Mrs. D think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. D is very very happy and thinks our sweet girl will have some major fun with her new instrument. She encouraged Dreamer to play and record and listen to her pieces while she looks over the music to really get them in her head and see her mistakes. We may have a bit of a problem with a snobby judge that doesn't want to give a time extension even though our girl was super sick for 3 long weeks, but God worked once and surprised us with His perfect timing, and again last week surprising us with a helpful gift, so I am sure He will work it out. If we have to we can get a doctor's letter to confirm her illness, but hopefully it won't come to that.

      Delete
  2. I think my husband believes duct tape could solve anything, even world peace. :)

    I just took a book from the library called Edible Gardens that is fantastic. I only had time to peruse it yesterday but I can tell already it is one I'm getting for my home library.

    It says it is part of part of the "Brooklyn Botanic Garden Guides for a Greener Planet".

    I walked in that cold wind yesterday and I thought I was going to end up in the wetlands by the walking path. It was terrible! But the walking is part of bringing my blood sugar down and (hopefully) taking off the weight I've gained the past two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda - I am glad you didn't end up in the bog! We almost got blown over on our short walk and I lost count of how many garbage cans were rolling about! We rescued one, but didn't go chasing after the rest. We try to walk for 45 minutes while sister is at her piano lesson - it is so good for me! I know a good walk lowers blood sugar so it's great that you are able to do that. I will look for Edible Gardens - we are all about a plant rich diet here!

      Delete
  3. In my point of view You sure did put a new twist on something that Ive heard so much about. And How did you manage to make a blog that as smart as it is sleek?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you - thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  4. My very favorite sound on earth is the laughter of children. Thanks for this peaceful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crazy Mama {Donna} - thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love the sounds of children laughing too - I think it is one of the very best sounds God made, and I am so thankful I have ears to hear it. I haven't heard the heavenly host sing 'Holy! Holy! Holy!' or the stars sing with praise to God yet, but it could be that I'll still love the laughter of children the best! I'm glad you find my blog peaceful. It is only because of my relationship with Jesus Christ - it is not anything I would be able to accomplish aside from the work of God in my life through the truth of His Word, the Bible. I'm pretty much just a mess that God loves anyways and is changing daily into the likeness of His Son,Jesus. Drop by again any time!

      Delete
  5. AnonymousJune 05, 2012

    Dear Heather,
    Hi!
    I had to smaile as I read your list! =) Real. Life.

    And I thought I would pass on a few things: I have cracked, splitting feet issues at times, and after an experiment =) discovered oregano oil soothes and heals up my feet!
    I guess it clears up any fungal/infections keeping them open.
    I just put a few drops on, and rub it in, maybe adding some olive oil or coconut oil for extra moisturizing. (Before sure to wash your hands well after, to not get it in your eyes!)
    My family learned about putting essential oils on the bottom of your feet (the uncallosed area) where it is quickly absorbed into your blood stream. Much nicer than swallowing Oregano or Garlic to fight colds! You can taste Garlic in your mouth in minutes!

    Also, do you use Armor Thyroid? I am hypothryroid also, actually, my thyoid doesn't work at all after a medical radiation treatment. And after moving to the States, I tried this medictation. It is an incredible difference! No "slight energy by ten, and crashes at four", like Synthroid/Levothyroxin!
    (It combines some active thyroid hormone with inactive, boosting your body's ability to convert it.)

    ...It feels a little funny to share this, as I just dropped in, discovering your blog on a search for godly, Christian encouragement; but perhaps you will enjoy.

    In Christ,
    E.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E.M. I am glad you dropped by! I'll look for oregano oil to try on my feet! I used to have some but it has somehow disappeared. They are so cracked and sore again and I hate hobbling around. I used to be able to get Armor, but then it became scarce and I was switched back to Synthroid. Is it back on the market again? I did feel much better on it and was sad when it was no longer available. I'll look into that too! My doctor just switched me back to the brand (Synthroid) from the generic (Levo) because I found that when they substituted the brand I felt better. Thanks for leaving a comment!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!