Monday, December 20, 2010

Just one small thing ...



The children are busy wishing this week away when all I want to do is slow it down.
Last week was lost to the flu and I am still finding myself quite exhausted. Two weeks of heavy colds preceded my flu adventure, so I was already feeling behind.  When the Pastor asked yesterday if I was ready for Christmas, my heart sunk.  How do you explain limited energy to someone with boundless energy?  How do I share the confines of chronic illness with someone who is rarely ill?  I smiled and gave my best answer - we keep things very simple at Christmas.  By choice and by necessity, we enjoy a very quiet celebration of the Savior's birth.

As I lay in bed this morning thinking over the week ahead, I was really tempted to panic when I thought of all that needs to be done.  Catching up from last week's illness and facing down the ironing pile I neglected, doing the regular weekly chores plus some extra cleaning, having friends over for an afternoon, Christmas baking, grocery shopping plus buying a few more stocking items and wrapping all of the gifts.  Whew!  I could almost feel stress creeping into my body.  I started to pray that the Lord would enable me to take the enormity of 'getting ready for Christmas' and break it down into Company Girl inspired 'Small Things' that I can do easily each day without loosing the joy and wonder of the season! 

 
Dreamer under the tree - what a smile!

Storyteller under the tree - such a happy guy!

These are my two cookie munchers!  They've made a list of the 'must have'
Christmas treats and these cookies topped this list!


Have you tried my grandma's Whipped Shortbread recipe?  They simply melt in your mouth!
You can find it HERE.

We started with the backlog of laundry and I did some ironing.  Then I rested. 
I  made some lists of 'must do' and 'would like to do if I have extra time/energy' and then began to tackle it in 20 minute intervals with rests in between.
From the 'Must Do' list:
I started shopping online for silk long underwear to keep me warmer since I have come to the conclusion that I am getting cold far too easily and getting cold almost always means getting sick for me.  I am learning that there are new limits I must stay in to keep healthy this winter that I didn't have to deal with last winter.

We made a few gifts and delivered one to Dreamer's piano teacher.
Soother Sac's are so quick and easy and always appreciated - you can find my directions HERE.  Our Wal*Mart has wheat berries in 20# bags for $12. Enough for 15 Soother Sacs!



We started some baking.
I ironed enough shirts for the Historian  for a week.

I made my annual cheese ball recipe.
Certain people can hardly wait for that cheese ball!!!



We admired the gorgeous poinsettia that graces our table thanks to Dad and Mum!

I called Mum to check up on her - she and Dad both have terrible colds and they are supposed to be hosting Christmas for my sister and her family.  I'm thinking there should be a 'plan B' in the works.   Poor Mum is exhausted - this has gone on for two weeks. 



The children played games and did quite a few chores to help me out.  

They played with our silly dog and romped in the snow for a while.
They worked together to pick up the calling cards in the yard without being asked.
There was lots of laughter and fun.  
Lots of little naps for me.

I know at this point that half the things I'd love to do will not get done.  I have the choice to be upset about it and get down, or to find joy in the little things.  I have the choice to see my limitations as something to resent or something to embrace. I choose to look for God's rich blessings  everywhere, because really we are so very very blessed.

Storyteller is sure this is going to be the very best Christmas we have ever had, 
and I think he is absolutely right. 


post signature

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I hope you all had a nice Christmas. Funny how our Christmas turned out -- chicken soup in place of the normal nice dinner. Oh well. We still have some good memories. Woke up this morning with another child disastrously sick. We've decided we've been hit by two separate rounds of stomach flu with no break in between.

    I hope you managed to get done the necessities. Low energy is not something very suited to the stress of the Christmas season. :( I hope January will have some rest in store for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!