Friday, December 10, 2010

Men in flannel


 
Hot tea on a cold night, a warm flannel shirt and our family Advent devotional - so many good things!

This week I figured out that I really always have enjoyed my favorite men dressed in cozy flannel.  They are just extra hug-able when clothed in nice soft flannel shirts.  Sadly, my Historian has never been a flannel man - in fact, he has worn short sleeved cotton shirts year round for most of the 19 years we have been married.  We've lived in northern Pennsylvania, Michigan, central Ontario, and now we are in Ohio - but he's never felt the cold - totally unfair! Last winter when temperatures dropped well below zero for several days in a row, he dug to the back of his closet and found his lone long sleeved flannel shirt (a gift from my Mum) and he actually wore it.  I was so pleased - and he got lots of extra hugs!

When I was thrifting this fall I kept finding really nice flannel shirts for $2 or less  - brand new Chaps. Polo and Izod flannel shirts. So soft and well made, I just couldn't pass them up - I took a chance and bought 3 more soft flannel shirts for my Historian and hoped for nice cold days this winter.  See, I am a devious schemer good planner! Well, our cold days are upon us and the flannels are getting daily use.  I guess my Historian is beginning to feel the cold more - after all he is getting more historical each year.  He's liking his flannels - he said it's like getting a nice warm hug every time he puts one on.  I notice he's getting extra hugs from Dreamer and Storyteller too. 



When I was a girl, I loved getting cuddly flannel hugs from my Poppa and Daddy and they always smelled like all of outdoors. Wood smoke, pine sap, cold Northern Ontario air - freshness at it's best! I have wonderful childhood memories of going with my dad, my Poppa and sometimes my Uncle and spending a Saturday morning cutting wood at the woodlot.  In my memory Dad and Poppa almost always wore warm flannel shirts for wood cutting - though until they got into the rhythm of felling trees, stripping branches, and cutting logs to length, they usually had jackets too!  My sister and I helped to haul and stack the wood - though I don't remember really being much help!  Our toes would get sooooooo cold and we'd drink hot chocolate out of Nanny's big green thermos to warm up and munch on homemade cookies. Do you know that cookies stick to snow covered mittens? Mum would safety pin two or three layers of hand knit mittens on our hands to the inside cuffs of our coats - it was before the days of Thinsulate or Hot Paws mittens. We couldn't take them off, so cookie munching was quite a trick! We would head home at lunch to steaming bowls of chili with toast which warmed us up from the inside.  Our cheeks would be rosy red for hours - so many good memories.  


Some baking we did last Christmas ready wrap in pretty cellophane to give away.


Yesterday we finally made  a list of the cookies we need to bake for Christmas.  I don't think I'll have time or energy to make huge batches this year, but I had each family member choose two favorites for a total of eight 'must have' Christmas cookies - I'm planning one small batch of each. I loved that the children talked about the special memories that they have of baking and eating cookies and making up gift trays of goodies to give away.  At times I think we are not really giving our children the exciting and special kinds of memories that I would like to fill their childhood with, but then I remember that quiet evenings reading together, school at the kitchen table,  baking days, giving to others, laughing and playing, or just spending time together - they may not seem very exciting to some, but when our children are grown, their happy childhood stories will certainly include these simple daily joys.   Most importantly, they know we have put God first in our lives and in our home, and in everything we do we seek to follow Him.  They also know they are very much loved by their very own Historian in a flannel shirt and the Mama who loves to hug him!




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I love plaid shirts on men - and found 2 for Michael this year while thrifting!! Fortunately, Michael will wear them! :)

    I'm sorry you've been hit by the flu. UGH! We've had the stomach bug running the house for the week. The kids still aren't over it, though at least they are over the nasty part. Laura's not doing well with her feeds and I think she caught it. I can't seem to go but a few days and she has another problem. Definitely a test in trusting the Lord.

    Baking has been nonexistent for me this year -- first time in the 12 Christmases of our marriage. Maybe next week....we'll see. I think I'm dealing with some of the effects of my Grave's as well. Thanks to Amazon, the shopping is nearly done though. :) Also reading a good book by Joni E. Tada, so that is helping.

    I hope you all have a special Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!