Monday, February 25, 2013

Soft & Chewy Naan Recipe

'Disappearing' Naan


Soft & Chewy Naan


2 large eggs at room temperature
1/4 cup plain yogurt (vanilla works well too)
3/4 cup milk (plus a tablespoon or two if your dough is dry)
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 Tbsp. raw honey
2 cups whole wheat bread flour
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt

Sift dry ingredients together. Beat eggs until frothy and add remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined. Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2-3 minute or until the dough is smooth. Cut into 30 pieces and shape each one into a golf ball sized ball; cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and grease a large cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper. Roll each ball into a 6" circle and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 4 minutes until the Naan is puffed and browned. Remove to a cooling rack, place the next 6 dough circles on the hot sheet and bake 4 minutes. Repeat until all of the Naan is baked. Now, count and see how many Naan are left on the cooling rack - since you started with 30 balls, you should have 30 Naan, but it's not likely! These freeze well, but even out of sight in the freezer they tend to disappear.



Our Storyteller had a rough day today. He felt that he wanted to attend the funeral of his favorite Sunday School teacher Mrs. Kathy and so I took him this afternoon, but it was really hard for him. Mrs. Kathy has been battling cancer for the last 14 years, but last week she went home to be with the Lord. Our Storyteller really cared for her - she made Sunday School really enjoyable for him and I treasured her as his teacher because she enjoyed him, rather than enduring him as some of his past teachers had. We've been praying for her and encouraging him to send her little notes to remind her that we prayed for her.

Some weeks just out of the blue he would feel a need to pray for her more often, and usually we found out later that those weeks were especially hard for her. I shared my own health struggles with her a bit and she sent me notes of encouragement in the midst of her own illness. She was always faithful to be at church whenever she could be, and often on days when I really did not feel like heading out the door Sunday morning I've thought of Mrs. Kathy and decided that if she could do it with cancer and chemo and chemical burns, I could push through my nausea and exhaustion and be in the House of the Lord in my place where I belong too. We're really going to miss Mrs. Kathy, but I know without a doubt we will see her in eternity! I'm sure our boy will have some stories to tell her!

This evening I made Naan because sometimes a boy just needs something he can tear into with his hands while he shares his heart with his Mama, and sometimes filling up his always hungering belly with something warm and comforting is a good way to share my heart with this man-child of ours.


John 6:51
I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

Blessings to you,

 

5 comments:

  1. Your naan looks so good!!! I have an amazing gluten free naan recipe but it is so involved! I'm scared of making them again. :) I'm so sorry about your friend Mrs. Kathy. How special that the Storyteller was so close to her. I'm sure her memories will follow him through his life and be always special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather - these are so much fun to make and they puff up quite nicely and are super soft and chewy ... unless you overbake them! I don't know how they would be with a gluten free flour substitute, but it would be worth a try - maybe a 1/2 batch to start? I did make them dairy free with almond milk once and they were really good. My whole wheat bread flour is locally stone milled and kept in our freezer so it's quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to try homemade naan, this looks like a great recipe.

    I do feel for your son. It's hard enough as an adult to understand when one we care for dies from cancer, especially if they suffered.

    I read that Ruth Graham suffered a lot in her final years (although I don't think from cancer) and one of her daughters had questions for God, why He allowed such a godly mother to suffer so... and her daughters are Word filled women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't have yeast, so I am excited to try these! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good Ashley - not gluten free, but I'm thinking you could probably figure out a GF version, right?

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!