Wednesday, January 25, 2012

HomeSchool: Home Economics

 I love home making {most of the time}and I really want our daughter to enjoy it to!  More than that, I want her to be skilled before she leaves home so that she doesn't have to learn everything all at once. My sweet Mum was an amazing whirlwind of activity when I was growing up - she could do everything faster, better and up to her standard without our help - and she did! We got away with murder when it came to chores - she did it all for us! Can you say spoiled? I did laundry for the first time under the close tutelage of a friend at summer camp - in a laundromat. I learned to wash dishes at camp too. I mastered vacuuming and clean bathrooms at Bible College - my room-mates taught me. When the Historian and I were first married, I spent countless hours on the phone with my Mum asking cooking questions - and served more than my fair share of burnt offerings to my poor husband. 
I had a lot to learn.  
I'm not the whirlwind of energy my Mum was.  I've needed a lot more help with chores then she did, 
and so both children are actually quite skilled in many of the basics already. 
I like to think that's one of the many blessings of chronic health struggles.


Our Dreamer is by nature A Messy - she has the uncanny ability to turn a tidy room into utter chaos in less than 24 hours - but I still hold out hope for change! 
Figuring out how to inspire that change has been a challenge.  
I'm ready for another tactic.  
Nothing as drastic as boot camp or anything, but something that will inspire.
 Here's my latest plan - making the basics of home keeping a grade 9  
High School Elective Course 
- complete with grades, tests, and fun projects. 
Dreamer and I have been bouncing around ideas based on the Biblical example of the Proverbs 31 Woman so this is a combination of things she wants to learn and things I think she ought to master!
We are almost ready to get started!


 Grade 9 Home Economics Class
Based on Proverbs 31
 Table of Contents: {so far}
 I.                    Course Objectives and Overview

  II.                 How to Clean the Right Way
a.       Read Talking Dirty With the Queen of Clean
b.      Laundry Skills Overview
c.       Stain Removal Chart
 III.               Soap Making 101

 IV.              Vegetable Garden Basics
a.       Planning a Garden
b.      Preparing to Plant
c.       Starting Plants From Seed
d.      Weeding, Watering and Feeding
e.       Harvesting the Bounty
 V.                 The Art of Preserving Food
 a.       Fruit Leather
b.      Freezing Foods – Storage Time Chart
c.       Making Jams and Jellies
d.      In a Pickle


 VI.              Basic Yarn Skills
a.       Make a scarf
b.      Darn a Sock

 VII.            Basic Sewing Projects
a.       Sew a winter hat for yourself
b.      Sew a simple apron using a pattern
VIII.         Advanced Sewing Skills: Garment Construction
a.       Sew a skirt for yourself
b.      Sew a jacket for yourself
c.       Sew a hat for someone else
 IX.              Made By Hand
a.       Embroider a Sampler
 X.                 Food for Thought: Monthly Menu Planning
 XI.              Grocery Store Tips & Strategies
a.       Grocery List Master
b.      Shopping for Sales
c.       Price Comparison
d.      Keeping a well stocked pantry

  XII.            Recipes To Master
 a.       Muffins
b.      Quick Breads
c.       Soup
d.      Yeast Bread – white and whole wheat
e.       Entrée Basics ( 5 meals she can make well consistently before she leaves for college)
f.        Pie - Apple and Pumpkin - her favorites!
 XIII.         Money Sense: Preparing a Budget
a.       Read What Ever Happened to Penny Candy?
b.      Read Money Sense for Kids
 XIV.         Physical Fitness
a.       Physical Activity Log
b.      Calorie Chart
c.       Understanding BMI
 XV.           Candle Making

  XVI.         Personal Style
a.       Flattering and Modest
b.      Your Best Colors
c.       Layers and Accessories
  XVII.      Time Management Basics
a.       Daily Schedule
b.      Chore Chart
c.       To do lists
 XVIII.    Wisdom for a Faithful Woman
a.       Scripture Memorization
b.   Prayer
c.   Bible Study Basics
XIX.         Baby Care Basics
 XX.           Emergency Preparedness
 XXI.         Skin Care Essentials
a.       Read The Herbal Home Spa
b.      Make three skin care products
c.       Plan a spa night for a friend and you!

That's what we've got so far - are we missing anything? 
What do you think is most essential in equipping our girls for life in the grown up world?

post signature

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful plan!!!! I love it!!! My oldest is a messy too and I'm forever trying to figure out about the room -- every single 24 hours it goes from picked up to trashed. I don't have an answer yet.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we're not the only ones struggling to keep a dear Messy on track - it's really difficult at times! So do you think we could come over for a knitting lesson? The yarn work on her project list is her nemesis - she tried once before and got so frustrated! Her 'scarf was so tight it was bullet-proof! I'm not a good teacher since I've really been taught!

      Delete
  2. Hello I am so delighted I found your weblog, I really found you
    by error, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to
    say cheers for a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb job.
    Take a look at my blog post : smoked sausage casserole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,
    I like your layout for the Prov. 31 Home Economics Plan - do you have any manuals that you're working from for all the areas you'll be covering? I've also got a 12 year old that would be very interested in doing alot of these areas as we homeschool 2 girls. She loves baking and is very organized - it's a good time to direct her gifts. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Blessings from Canada,
    Bibi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Heather,

    This is amazing, and just what I was looking for! as far as suggestions, I would put the wisdom section first...add LOTS to the baby care section, as my 13 year old 9th grader is the only one of our seven who did not have a little sibling! I wo
    uld skip the soap making and the spa section, because that is just not me! :) but otherwise this is well-thought-out and WONDERFUL! Do you have any suggestions as to HOW you are going to do this, or have you already done it? I would LOVE to hear more!!
    Donna Jeanne Schneider

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, what a wonderful outline! :)
    I think the Wisdom for a Faithful Woman and Time Management should be the first ones...I would so love to do something very much like this for my 9th grade 13 year old daughter!!
    I will be praying for your efforts, and let me know (us) if you come up with more ideas, more details, anything!

    Want this to be VERY FUN for her and not feeling like it is another CLASS she must take...:(
    Love this!

    Thank you for
    Donna Jeanne from Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna Jeanne - this worked really well for our daughter - except for the meal planning and making! We are re-visiting that this years since we never got around to it! Somehow the hours and hours of piano practice that our Dreamer does each day got in the way! And she's still a messy - but a sweet one!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Many thanks,
    However I am experiencing problems with your RSS.
    I don't know why I can't subscribe to it. Is there anybody having
    identical RSS problems? Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!

    Also visit my blog post ... live bdsm chat (http://www.tokeitop100.com/index.php?a=stats&u=lpzedmundo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you are having issues - sadly I have no idea how to fix it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!