Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The 7 year itch ...

Photo Credit





 I'm the first to admit that sometimes it takes me a while to figure me out 
- and it takes my poor husband even longer!
It's not easy living with me ...
I have this dreaded '7 year itch' - but it doesn't have anything to do with my wonderful husband!
We've been married for 20 years - and we love each other very differently then we did when we first made that lifetime commitment, but it is a deeper, richer - tried and tested kind of love.
Two perfectly imperfect people relying heavily on the grace of God 
and loving each other to the best of our ability.

Nope.

My sweet Historian has nothing to do with this crazy itch.
It's the house.
I've got this crazy 'itch' to redecorate every square inch of it!
I've suddenly fallen out of love with our lovely home!
Crazy stuff for a woman who is 
overwhelmingly blessed
and strives daily to be thankful and content.
 For a little bit I thought my problem stemmed from my new obsession enjoyment of Pinterest.
You know - the whole lust of the eyes thing bringing discontent into my heart.
I prayed about it for quite a while and almost cancelled my Pinterest account.
I realized I was getting a lot of inspiration - and some terrific ideas for our upcoming 
boys bathroom remodel. 
I didn't think getting some fresh ideas through Pinterest was any different from enjoying 
a good magazine and they haven't been a problem in the past.

Then it hit me!





 This is the LONGEST we have ever lived in a home since our marriage began in 1991! 
We rounded the corner on 7 years in this house in November. 
Seven years.
And counting!

Photo Credit




We spent 3 months in our first home, 2 1/2 years in our second, 3 1/2 in our third, 6 months in our 4th, 3 years in our 5th home, and 4 1/2 years in our 6th house - and now we've been here 7+ years!
No boxes, no trucks, 
no major redecorating for about 5 years!
{we did a lot in the first 2-3 years}
So now that I've put my finger on the problem, I'm not sure where to begin!
My husband has suggested that I dig out my  house journal and go room by room listing:
Things that need to be fixed.
New paint/fabric and furniture ideas
Major remodel ( if price were not an object) dreams.
Then he wants me to start room by room with the little fixes and see where we go from there.
I'm ready to tear out a wall.
{or two}
Purge the whole house.
Reupholster everything.
Paint every wall.
Re-arrange everything.
{but I have no ideas and no energy}
I guess I will do what I can do and that will have to do for now! 
 What do you do when you fall out of love with your house?
How do you deal with the urge to totally re-decorate everything?

I have one friend who just goes to town - fearlessly re-doing her whole house frugally and frequently.
She has endless energy and creativity and an amazing sense of style.

Any suggestions?

{my husband thinks this could have something to do with a certain birthday that's just around the corner}

45

I'll think about that next month ...

post signature 



4 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Michael and I just had a long talk about redecorating. In summation, he kind of said what your husband said -- do we really need to go this overboard into redecorating? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heather ... it's not just me? I'm so glad! I just can't stop thinking about everything I'd like to 'refresh'! I'm even dreaming about redecorating! Yeah - in my abundant spare time with all the extra energy I have, I'll just do that little thing! Our guys have to be so patient with us at times, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Heather,

    I just wanted to offer a suggestion. Sometimes taking EVERYTHING out of a room, cleaning and rearranging the furniture, pictures and other items are just what is needed. As they say, also "Shop your Hone" and bring in items from other rooms.

    It makes the room look new. It also gives a new perspective for future decorating ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea - I know I find it hard to envision different furniture arrangements so maybe starting with a 'clean slate' is a good idea! I suppose if I don't like it after living with it for a while I could always go back to the old arrangement! Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!