Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Man Camp


Breathtaking beauty courtesy of our Awesome God  - image captured in the early morning by our Historian

Last Saturday our guys braved the frosty morning air to attend our church's first 'Man Camp'. I think that judging by the response this will become a regular event for the men of our church family. The guys went to learn to protect and provide for their families and to be reminded of God's standards for men.  By all accounts it was a wonderful day.  The guys, young and old,  cooked good meals over an open fire, reviewed some basic first aid skills, practiced target shooting with guns and bows, mastered fire building without matches, learned to handle a pocket knife, reviewed some basic orienteering and heard a lot about what God has designed a man to be and how a man should treat a lady.

There was a lot of  guttural 'ugh, ugh, ugh' sounds going on Sunday morning.

 Only some of it could be attributed to the  general stiffness felt by unaccustomed muscles long over worked in the chilly November air during Man Camp.
You could almost smell the testosterone in adult Sunday School 
... or maybe that was a little leftover woodsmoke!



Our Storyteller had an amazing day.  The Historian enjoyed the day too, though the 'real deal' outhouses were a bit more 'rustic' than he anticipated. 

Both of our guys came home in one piece with glowing cheeks and much to share,
and for that, I am truly grateful. 

I thought that seeing a picture of my Storyteller positioned to shoot might be my undoing, but I was just so proud of him.  From all reports he listened well and followed instructions.  He wants to learn to shoot so badly. My conviction that a boy doesn't need to learn to shoot to become a man was quite likely wrong.  

For some boys, it's very necessary.

I admit that I was one of those Mum's who didn't want our boy playing with guns.  It didn't matter because I soon learned that even a wooden spoon will be turned into a gun in the hands of our boy. I don't how many times we had to ask the Storyteller to put away his 'gun fingers' at the table when he was younger.  We didn't buy toy guns for our Storyteller because with his temper control problems, we didn't think adding a gun to the mix was a good idea. We compromised with Nerf Blasters, and they have been a lot of fun for both children. 
 
Raising a boy to become a godly young man who is ready, willing and able to be the protector and defender of his faith, his family and his country is no simple task.  We need manly men who love God passionately, serve Him faithfully, and know His Word thoroughly.

Man Camp was just another step in that direction.

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I was so happy to "see you" in my Google Reader.

    I've thought of you and prayed for you often.

    Had to laugh, I always said my son would not play with guns and then I found he would make a gun out of the strangest items... all boy!

    Hard to believe he turns 21 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Heather. Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...
    This is my first time here. I read this post and three of your previous ones. Loved the way you shared from your heart - so honest and so warm.

    Just wanted to let you know...

    Blessings,
    Lidj

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful bloggy home you have here! i love a place of quiet rest :)

    my boys went on a daddy/son camping trip with daddy a couple years ago and absolutely loved it!! it is a special time of memories and bonding for fathers and sons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely picture. So peaceful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!