Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer Suppers

I think that with all the hot weather we've been having lately, cool and refreshing salads are just on my mind. It's either that or because I bought a gigantic bag of yummy romaine lettuce at Sam's just a day before Poppa and Grammy spirited our Dreamer away and it needs to be eaten and we have cucumbers galore in the garden  ... either way, I'm thinking SALAD! Are you thinking salad? We just got a coupon in the paper for Ruby Tuesday, and while I do enjoy their fresh salad bar, I'm happy to save the $$$ and make something yummy at home. I can never eat their 'prepared' mixed salads anyway because of the preservatives that are so hard on my liver and give me migraines, so it's a lot to pay for simple greens and fresh veggies. 


  I'm not the only one thinking salads today - Family Fun just sent me a link to 20 wonderful looking salads that would make delicious entrees - here's the link for you: Favorite Salads Photo Gallery  Yummy looking salads for sure!

This isn't the first time I've blogged about salad for supper either, so I'll make it easy for you to go back in time to Salad Supper from the summer of 2007!  




Tonight's supper featured - you guessed it - salad!  This one is a bed of icy cold romaine and spinach, sliced cukes from the garden, blueberries, strawberries, Feta crumbles (on sale with a coupon - still a treat!), toasted almonds and some stale artisan bread made into crunchy croutons - mmmmm! We also had Sticky Honey Chicken Tenders over brown rice - Storyteller is requesting rice often since Dreamer hates it and he loves it. Sticky Honey Chicken is quick and doesn't heat up the kitchen too much -  a four ingredient recipe that works for us.

Sticky Honey Chicken Tenders
2 Tablespoons salted butter
3 Tablespoons pure honey - the runny kind works best
1 1/2 pounds fresh chicken tenders - remove tendon
 1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice

Melt butter and honey over medium heat in a large skillet and add the tenders.  Brown slowly on both sides, and then add the orange juice.  Cover and turn down the heat to low.  Simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and juices have thickened. There will be a small amount of deliciously golden honey orange glaze, but if your family loves it, you can double the glaze amounts and that way there will be no fighting!  This is so golden and pretty - perfect to serve on a bed of rice or with a side of steamed veggies. Makes great leftovers too.

Do you plan for leftovers?

I'm all about planned leftovers these day.  Jen from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam calls it C.O.S.T. cooking - as in Cook Once, Serve Twice.  She is so smart! It just makes sense doesn't it?  I've done this for years and years, but without a fancy name for it - when I'm on the ball! There have been seasons when I forgot the blessings of second suppers and failed to plan ahead.  Lately it's been a blessing to think ahead because we still have freezers full of wonderful locally grown meat.  I hate to pay $7-9 per pound for nitrate free cold meat for lunch when, with just a bit of planning, we can enjoy our drug free, hormone free $1.30 per pound pork or $1.70 per pound beef, so planning for leftovers makes economic sense too!



 We have unplanned leftovers too - those dribs and drabs that often get forgotten at the back of the fridge.  I've actually designated a top shelf in the fridge to them now so that we will use them up before they expire! Our of sight, out of mind happens all too often.

It's been a while since I blogged about The Luscious Leftover Buffet, so for the benefit of newer readers I'll share the secret of getting those leftovers out of their Tupperware Graves and into your regular family menu! Here's the link my The Luscious Leftover Buffet ideas and tips .  Many families live on leftovers and are great with that, but there are quite a few who don't see leftovers for the blessing they are - we were that family until we started The Luscious Leftover Buffet.

As you can probably tell, I am enjoying working on our regular desktop computer once again.  It is a blessing to have it fixed and working well, and even more of a blessing that it didn't cost as much as a new computer like we feared it might! I hope it lasts, but we have some reasonable options if it doesn't, so that's a good thing too.

Sleep is a blessing too, and I'd better get some now.  I am doing physical therapy for this tendinitis and I find the pain level very tiring, but hopefully, prayerfully, it will improve day by day.  I really look forward to enjoying using my right arm without thinking about it.

Thanks for dropping by!


post signature

6 comments:

  1. I was watching Giada today (Everyday Italian) and she said her mother always made extra at dinner for their breakfast or lunch the next morning. She now just naturally looks that way.

    I make the same recipes I did when there were four of us at home, it's just now there is often some left for lunch. When Christopher moves to campus, there will definitely be leftovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooks the same... not looks. Although she does look like her mother (both gorgeous).

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 16, 2010

    Dear Heather
    How are you doing today.
    I will be making cookies soon.
    Grammy is making a pie.
    Dreamer
    P.s.
    Miss you a lot .
    Give storyteller a hug for me.
    Give the Historian a hug for me too.
    Play with bailey too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dreamer - we miss you SOOOOOOOOOO much! Bailey is lost without you! She wants to play with all of your stuffies, but we are trying to keep her out of your room! She keeps wandering around looking for you! Have fun with Poppa and Grammy! We'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that quote from Dr. Dobson!! And thanks for the reminder that homeschooling does take its toll on the house -- no time when the kids are away at school to clean.

    We too are enjoying a lot of salads and veg from the garden and the CSA. I love putting out 3-4 different veggies at dinner!! Which reminds me, we have a whole watermelon to eat before we leave tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try those chicken tenders! They cook so fast and it's just too hot right now to heat up the kitchen. Thanks for the recipe!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!