Friday, March 26, 2010

Company Girl Coffee - March 26

Welcome Company Girls!   I have some Berry Treat Tea and Cranberry Orange Scones all ready for your visit!  It's been a difficult week here - lots of prayer and worry going on for my dear Mum. Many answers to prayer as well though - she is doing very well and is actually going to be released from hospital later today.  Considering that she broke her hip Sunday, had repair surgery Monday night and this is only Friday - I think that's amazing! The physiotherapist had her doing stairs yesterday - with a cane.  Unbelievable.
My Mum is sweet as can be, but she is quite determined.  I know that she will have hard days of healing ahead, but I have no doubt she will be just fine.



We awakened to a horrible abberation this morning - snow!  My poor flowers are quite frozen!



Our lettuce plants are shivering under their canopy of cheesecloth.  The cheesecloth was my attempt to keep out the bunnies this year - just using what I had on hand.  It's likely that batch of lettuce is doomed - they like cool weather, but not snow! All is not lost - I have more coming up under the grow lights and maybe this will give me chance to think of a better cover for them.


I transplanted the cucumbers this week into larger peat pots - they are doing great! Just a tip here - I buy peat pots when they are clearing them out in June - they usually have them in the clearance isle just before the school supplies come out.


The zinnias are doing really well too - I can't wait to see their saucy green color!


I just started these tomato plants - Beefsteak and Yellow Pear. Everyone is looking forward to fresh garden tomatoes. The Historian is missing 'real' tomatoes!


These giant white Moonflowers destined for my lamppost garden have me scratching my head - I planted them at the same time, but they are not coming up at the same time. Go figure!


Of course, all of this rain and snow means the ground is very very soggy - our Storyteller is so very sad!  Baseball practice was canceled Monday and will likely be canceled today as well. 


Are you ready for a scone?  We were recently at Panara Breads for a treat - their food is so good, but pricey, if you ask me. I saw some scones and they looked wonderful - until I saw the price!  I decided that I would try to make my own this week and they turned out quite well.  Would you like the recipe so that you can make them too?

Cranberry Orange Scones
2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
the zest of one orange
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 egg - beaten
the juice of one orange plus enough milk to make 1/2 cup liquid

Combine  flour, baking powder, salt, sugars and orange zest.  Add butter and using a pastry blender, combine until the butter flour mixture resembles coarse meal.  Add cranberries. Make a well in the center and pour in beaten egg and milk/orange juice mixture.  Stir just to moisten all flour.  Dump out onto a floured counter or board and knead gently for about 1 minute or until a smooth dough forms. Using your lightly floured hands, gently form a 9" flat disk.  Use a floured knife to cut as for a pie into 8 or 10 nice wedges.  Transfer to baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 14 minutes or until golden.  If you like slightly  'crunchy' edges, separate the wedges before baking, but if you like a softer scone, bake as a round - it may take longer - 20 minutes or so. Make a glaze with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of orange juice.  Glaze baked scones while still warm.  Enjoy!

Well, thanks for stopping by for a visit!  I've been missing in action this week, but there has been a lot going on! Today is a full school day, and later we need to start some cleaning and get the bathrooms and floors taken care of.  I did 1/3 of my ironing last night and feel great about getting so much done - mostly shirts for the Historian.  Today I hope to do more - but first, to schoolwork!  Dreamer is learning some new songs on the piano and I am just loving that she is at the point in piano where she is enjoying it and trying new things on her own!  At last - all those lessons and tears are paying off!
Have a great day and a lovely weekend!

post signature

10 comments:

  1. Yum! I am totally trying this recipe! I think I only have raisins. No cranberries. That would work, right? I am new to your blog, but enjoy it! And your music is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make these soon as I LOVE Panera's orange scones but can't justify their purchase very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you mum! Mine broke her hip several years ago and I was amazed at how quickly they got her back on her feet! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOpe your mother recovers quickly.
    Living in Florida, snow this time of year blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the scones look yummy. You make me dream of a veg garden. I am moving soon so I hope I can still get one in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friday night and still she is not home, and I am pleased they kept her for at least one more day. She is very nauseated, and in a lot of pin Thurs and again today. So perhaps Sat. or Sunday . . . the house is ready with assistave devices
    Heffalump

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea on buying peat pots at the end of the season on clearance! I'll definitely have to remember that this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad the end of the week brought better news about your mum. I hope she continues to improve steadily. These hip things can be quite scary it seems.

    I'm so sorry about the snow! What a way to dappen the spirit. But the scones look good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your mom recovers well! Looks like you have got a great start on your garden! But snow, UGH! I would be quite horrified!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your seedling photos are so inspiring!! I hope that will be me in a few years. I'm giving a go at seedlings this year, and so far, so good. They aren't even an inch tall yet, so we'll see what happens!

    Your scones look AMAZING by the way. I'm sure they're better than what you could get at Panera any day :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!