Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Little Comforts


Our floors are c.o.l.d. - there's no getting around that.

My constant winter chorus is " PLEASE get something on your feet!!!"

"Socks or slippers - NOW!"

The standard reply ' we do have something on our feet Mama - skin!' Humph! Is there any wonder why two frozen footed children get so many colds? I think NOT!

My husband has the wonderful good sense to wear slippers, provided by my Mum. They are not very pretty, but they are warm and they don't smell, because I wash them. Often. They have specks of white paint on them because he wore them when he was touching up the paint on his closet shelves last winter, but he still loves them!

They hang out all day in the sunroom/mudroom, waiting for their owner to return from work. The floor in the sunroom/mudroom is ceramic over cement - and it used to be a breezeway between the house and garage. The floor is colder than snow. Someday, we will pull up the WHITE ceramic tile and lay down some warm brown, dirt hiding tile ... with Warm Floor coils under the tile. Someday.

In the meantime, my husband comes home to cold slippers and never complains, but I have decided that will change - tonight!


Today I took 4 minutes and made slipper warmers for my husband! It is simply a bit of manly fabric cut into two pieces about 6"x14" and sewn together - not quite the whole way around. I turned and pressed, than filled each end with 1 1/2 cups of wheat berries; sewed the opening closed and sewed across the ends to keep the wheat berries in place.

It's very similar to my Soother Sac's, but not as many wheat berries, since it won't need to stay warm long, just take the chill off some slippers!


So simple, but it worked! The 'slipper warmer will go into the microwave for about 1 minute on high and be placed in the Historian's slippers just before he gets home from work!

Just a little bit of toasty warm comfort!

post signature

DIY Day @ ASPTL

6 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful way to show your love for your husband. I love my slippers and wear them all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so thoughtful! That is a great idea and I am sure will be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful thing to do! My love is for my hubby to make me a cup of coffee. Stopped by from DIY day/A soft Place to Land

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cleaver idea, and what a beautiful help meet you are. THANKS FOR SHARING AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet gift of love!! I know he will love those...

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idean, and so thoughtful and sweet. Lucky hubs you have there!
    Happy New Year!
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!