Monday, July 6, 2009

Summer Daybook - July 6, 2009

I really enjoy participating in Peggy's Simple Woman's Daybook when I am able to.
Peggy is taking a hiatus from the Daybook for the summer until September, but I think I'll just keep on since it is such a blessing to me! It's just a great way to start the week!



For Today
Monday, July 6, 2009


Outside My Window...
The evening is upon us and it is beginning to cool down a bit. It has been a glorious day with bright blue skies, puffy white clouds and very little humidity. There has been a wonderful breeze all day pushing the clouds by and keeping things comfortable for those of us with all of the windows open. I know I'll likely regret the fresh layer of dust that will inevitably land on the furniture, but is was too nice to be shut in with the a/c on.

I am thinking.
..
So many blessing all at once can make a girl feel downright joyful!

From the learning rooms...
Today the children did their history lessons with our Historian this morning and both of them did some reading too! We were working on life skills and character issues a lot these days. Summertime is a good time to brush up on our 'Golden Rule Living' principles!

I am thankful for ...
So many things! I'd better make a list:
  • that the Word of God was preached with love and boldness yesterday, and that my heart was encouraged and challenged
  • that our van is almost ready, and we should have it this weekend
  • that we have special company coming on Saturday - my own sweet Mum, my Sis ( Auntie K) and the cousins - three boys! They are staying for one week and we plan to have a wonderful time!
  • that our broken A/C unit is still under warranty
  • that though the Historian's hours have been cut at work because of Statewide Library funding cuts, he still has a job and a few more hours at home each week
  • that my porch project turned out so well - now we have another place to enjoy and relax
  • that the muscle spasms in my back have let up today
  • that our rotten wood is being replaced and will be a worry off my mind. There were a few ants, but the borax and boiling water spray I doused the area with must have done the trick!
  • that my dental work is done for now, and the pain is diminishing
  • having so much to be thankful for this week!
I am praying for ...
A deeper understanding of the faithfulness of God in troubled times.

From the kitchen...
I just pulled some chocolate chip oatmeal cookies from the oven, but that's the first baking I've done in almost a week. I have been pretty lazy! This week I plan to make ahead as much as possible for next week and freeze it! Quite likely I'll do that on Wednesday since we have nothing else scheduled.

I was a bit more organized with my coupon this week since it was double coupon week and there were a lot of really good sales. I took the Dreamer and we did a 'stock up' kind of shopping and I save $79.16 in coupons!!! Yeah! What a blessing that was. My cashier told me that my husband should be 'right proud' of me for being such a saving shopper! She commented on all the ice cream treats in my order since she calls me one of her 'most healthful' shoppers, but when I explained that we had some company coming and there were three boys who love ice cream treats, she laughed and wished us a good visit!

I am wearing...

I long linen skirt in beige and a lime green blouse. Bear feet ... p.j.'s very very soon!

I am creating...
A mess! Why is that just when I want things to look neat and tidy, I make a big mess getting there??? I do wish the upstairs maid and the down stairs maid would just show up and lend a hand, but I'm afraid that I've given up on them - and the gardener too! Weeds!

I have been sewing a bit for the birthday boy, but mostly the alterations pile and the mending pile has been getting my attention. I am still trying to sew a well fitting blouse for myself, but over the weekend back pain limited my usefulness in all areas, so it's slow going! I have a feeling that my summer blouse project will be complete just about the time the snow flies!

I am going...
to enjoy a really hot bath for these muscle spasms and crawl into bed!

I am reading...
Last night I was longing for a really good inspirational romance to enjoy, but alas, I am fresh out of 'new' books. Any title suggestions?

I am hoping...
So many things! I have started a medication for insulin resistance that didn't agree with me before, but I am really hoping I can stick with it and make it through the first three weeks of symptoms graciously so that in the long run, it will do good things for my body. I hate that I had to start it just before our visit, but I am praying that it won't interfere. My doctor was quite insistent, and I really know I should give it a good try.

I am hearing...
Our children are listening to stories while they finish their chores before bed. We have an early morning tomorrow with the carpenter and also the carpet cleaners coming, and if all goes well we should be meeting with some home school friends at the local pool for the afternoon - but chores must be done first!

Around the house...
My Historian vacuumed and I did the bathrooms and laundry, as well as cleaning the fridge and doing the grocery shopping. I do need to water plants and shine up my sinks before bed, but everything else will just have to wait until tomorrow.

One of my favorite things...
Counting my blessings!

Fitness goals ...
I lost 2 more pounds - for a total of 12. I started the walking program in May so it doesn't seem like a lot, but slowly is better for my liver anyway. I did better with walking until my back went into muscle spasms over the weekend, and I hope to return to my walking routine this week. Passing the 10 pound plateau has been an encouragement to my heart.


A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week:
  1. More Sewing - birthday surprises are on my to-do list!
  2. Watering and weeding the gardens
  3. Keep walking!
  4. Deep cleaning the Grammy Flat in preparation for some very special company!
Here is a picture thought I'm sharing:



These are the children with their cousins the last time they visited - March 2008
I am praying we make some more great memories this year!
Thank you for reading my daybook!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    When you finally hear from that maid, tell her to contact me!! LOL

    Loved reading your daybook. I'm sorry to hear about your back, but will be praying God's healing on it. :) Hae you tried icing it? My sis has a back issue and she ices and it helps a lot!!

    How fun that your Mum is coming for a visit!! I used to look so forward to visits from mine! Enjoy every moment you have with her!!

    Better get on with my day. Take care, sweetie,
    Love and hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your daybook! I also enjoy counting my blessings. It never fails to give the outlook on life a lift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freshly baked choc chip cookies ... mmmmm. I thinks it's ok to be 'lazy' every now & then. We need time out from daily routines and the stress or kaos that life brings our way.

    I'd love to have your maids visit me when they're done there. It's a long way to come but they can have a little holiday after they've finished here :)

    Have a wonderful week.

    God Bless.
    Elena :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a wonderful visit with your family! It sounds so fun.

    And I hope that the med you are on works and you won't have problems with it. Your walking program sounds like it's been terrific! At least that's what I would call those results.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!