Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tidbits of joy


Over supper tonight my dear Historian made this quite observation.

"I'm not trying to be critical at all Heath, but you've really got to perk up your blog. "


I had to smile ruefully. I've been thinking the very same thing. We've been stuck with quite a lot of lemons lately and I haven't even been trying to make lemonade. I've been sharing all of the bad stuff, which is really hard to ignore, but I've been forgetting the little blessings that bring me tidbits of joy each day.

Life is the circumstance we find ourselves in each day, but with those circumstances come choices, and I am afraid that I haven't been making very good choices. I have been very much looking at the the difficulties we are facing with a pessimistic perspective. It's not really like me to find myself under the circumstances, as I used to be a more positive and generally upbeat person. I think maybe the frequency and intensity has just worn my overcomer's spirit down. I don't think I am trusting the Lord and leaning on His wisdom as I ought to, and I am bearing too much of the burden.

For those of you who keep coming for a visit, I apologize for not sharing the encouragements right along. I know that it can be depressing to read posts filled with trials, not knowing if there are any redeeming moments in the day. Thank you for continuing to comment, for your kind encouragement and prayer support. It really means a great deal to me.

My Historian is right. I need to find some positive things to share! So, I'm going to be looking for some tidbits of joy to share each time I blog, for your encouragement as well as my own. Sometimes joy just slaps me in the face and makes me grin, but more often lately, I have to go in search of the blessings, and remember, that in the grand scheme of things, our difficulties are very small.

Tonight, my first tidbit of joy is from my Doctor's report. My x-rays show no fractures, abnormalities or arthritis in my neck. My pain is *just* a soft tissue injury - mild whiplash. What a blessing. I'm still in pain, but this is good news.


Oh that men would praise the LORD for His goodness,
and for His wonderful works to the children of men!
Psalm 107:8



post signature

5 comments:

  1. I have not thought for one second that your blog was depressing. You just keep being you, and sharing your thoughts and concerns. We are all here for you, to listen and pray.

    Your medical report is WONDERFUL news, Heather!
    Blessings to you!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 15, 2008

    I'm glad that it is *just* soft tissue damage which will heal quite well.

    I understand what you wrote about circumstances and I'm afraid God gave me pretty much the same message in that I've been concentrating on the wrong things. I made a list of things that give me joy, and if you don't mind I'll share some with you.

    My relationship with God,
    My daughter,
    My family,
    The feeling of my little one's arms around my neck as she hugs me and tells me she "lubs" me sooooooooo much,
    The smell of fresh cut grass,
    A good sneeze following smelling fresh cut grass ;)
    Lemonade
    Being cosy on a rainy day
    That washable crayons really are washable,
    The smell of clean laundry fresh off the line,
    A bubble bath,
    A good book,
    A great chat with a good friend,
    Given the above that long distance phone calls aren't as expensive as they once were,
    Playing in the sand with my little one (making the bubble bath seem so much better later on too hehehe),

    Anyway, my list is a lot longer than that but I just wanted to share some of the things that make me smile and bring joy to me.

    I know that you will have a huge long list too.

    Under His mercy and grace (and loving every minute of it),
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny. I can look through past blog posts and tell you when I've been down, or creative, or in a book-ish mood, etc.

    You definitely have had a reason to be a Puddleglum lately (one of my favorite Narnia characters). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so glad your x-rays came back with a good report! I hope the soft tissue damage heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind comments - Nancy - I love you list! My list would be pretty similar, I guess - except for the fresh cut grass! I live in the neighborhood of perpetual mowing, so from April until November I hear massive mowing machines every nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!