Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tidbits of joy: Raspberry Iced Tea

Last spring I was all about using up the sugarless Seedless Raspberry Jam disaster that never quite jelled - we used it in Raspberry Lemonade and I slipped some into my unsweetened fresh brewed iced tea. We tried it on pancakes, on waffles and over ice cream. I even whipped some into real whipping cream and served it over chocolate pound cake ! Mmmmm! It did not go to waste, but some of it found it's way to my waist to be sure!

This spring, when we have enjoyed the occasional warm day, I have been missing my little taste of raspberries. I saw the bottles of Raspberry Syrup in the coffee section at Kroger, and spied the Starbuck's Raspberry Syrup in the little kiosk, but I had issues with both - price and content. The price - $9-18 for a bottle of syrup! Eeks! The ingredient list was way too long, contained multiple sources of sugar, dye and preservatives. A migraine in the making for me!
So here is my simple solution - after a bit of trial and error.






Raspberry Syrup

1/2 cup water
2 cups organic cane sugar
16 oz frozen red raspberries - ours were organic

Combine all in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat stirring occasionally. Boil until reduced by half - about 20 minutes (on a humid day). Strain syrup through a cheesecloth lined or very fine sieve - squeeze out any juice you can. Cool. Store in a covered glass jar for about a week in fridge or freeze in an ice cube tray. Bag cubes after they are frozen and it should keep for a month or more. Add a cube to a glass of fresh brewed iced tea or a few cubes to the whole pitcher of tea, your choice! Add a splash to hot tea, cold tea, lemonade or whatever your imagination comes up with! Enjoy!

My cost: $3 for 1 1/2 cups of syrup. We picked and froze the berries at $2.79 per pound and buy organic sugar in the bulk, so your cost might be higher, but still won't approach $8, I'm sure!

My Historian thinks this is a wonderful treat, and so do I! Now that I have shared it with him though, I might have to make a batch and hide it in the back of the fridge, where no one else will spy it!

I would have liked to try this recipe with frozen concentrated white grape or apple juice, but both it and the raspberries to are too expensive to waste, and I wasn't able to find a recipe. If you have a good syrup recipe and would like to share it, I would love to hear from you!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks so refreshing! Raspberry is my favorite fruit, so thank you for the yummy recipe!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your raspberry syrup sounds really good! Thanks for the tip on storing felted sweaters -- they were only hanging there for the picture. I can't leave them up as they were hanging over my sewing space. I think putting them in a plastic comforter cover will be just the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful - thank you for the recipe! I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just occurred to me today that a can of frozen concentrated apple raspberry juice (Old Orchard) might do the trick too! I'll let you know when we give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!