Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ring Around The Bathtub


With our lovely warmer days, we are enjoying much more time out of doors! Don't tell the poor kids stuck in a classroom, but we have taken to doing our school under the pergola on the back patio! We know the days will get warm quickly and we'll be too hot for school outside, but we are enjoying it while we can. Of course, the kids are getting really dirty in the sandbox and nighttime baths are pretty much daily essentials! This brings me to ring-around-the-bathtub, because we have a bad case of it! It's time to make a new batch of my homemade soft scrub. I thought I'd share my recipe because it is really easy, quick and economical! It smells good, and works really really well!

I use an old dish soap bottle with a flip top - and I like to rinse it after each use so it doesn't get clogged. Give it a good shake before each use.

In a glass bowl, combine:

1 2/3 cups baking soda
1/4 cup dish clear washing liquid (we like Seventh Generation) OR liquid Castile soap
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup boiling water
3-5 drops lavender essential oil ( a natural disinfectant)

Using a fork, combine these ingredients until there are longer lumps. Use a funnel to transfer to a squeeze bottle. Use as you would soft soap - just a small amount is needed to resolve the ring around the bathtub issue at our home!

Too keep the ingredients as economical as possible, I buy the really big bags of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda at Sam's Club, and every once in a while I call Seventh Generation and request coupons - they are very generous. Our Kroger puts Seventh Generation products on sale often, and we have even ordered it by the case and saved money that way. Essential oils are worth the investment because they go such a long way! I hope this helps you keep your tub sparkling, and makes caring for your home a joy!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe -- I've been looking for something like this to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to write what Heather I said so I guess all that's left is "ditto" ;)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recipe. I will be trying this next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!