Monday, August 27, 2007

Hodgie Podgie Plates


When I was growing up, we were blessed to be able to come home for lunch during the school day. My mum was at home and it was only a short walk so we had plenty of time. She sometimes made us 'cold plates' - just a yummy variety of things we liked.


In our family we call these 'Hodgie Podgie Plates' - a term we 'borrowed' from our friends Brian & Ruth. We thought it might be fun to have a silly name for really what amounts to dribs and drabs from the fridge and cupboard.


On this particular day, The Dreamer was in charge of making 3 'Hodgie Podgie Plates' . Keep in mind, she is 9 - so this really isn't too difficult. I've come up with some basic guidelines so that she covers all the bases and keeps a good balance.


1. Pick a protein: cold meat, peanut butter, cold boiled egg, cheese, nuts etc.
2. Pick a grain: bread, rolls, muffins, crackers, tea biscuits, wraps, pita, scones, bagels, whole grain tortilla chips etc.
3. Pick 2-3 raw veggies: baby carrots, celery, cucumbers, peppers, rutabaga, green beans, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, radishes etc.
4. Pick 2-3 fruits: apples, oranges, pears, grapes, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, kiwi, pineapple, melons, plums, prunes, dried apricots, raisins, apple sauce, etc.
5. Pick a dairy: yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, cheese, cream cheese, milkshake, smoothie, cheese curds, pudding, etc.
Try to make the plate as colorful and attractive as possible - toothpicks are fun ways to pick up chunked fruits and veggies, and also hold rolls of wraps or cold meats together.
If you're stuck on sandwiches, give 'Hodgie Podgie Plates' a try! It's fun and delicious! Never the same combination twice - what could be more exciting at lunch time!

6 comments:

  1. I stumbled onto your blog and was inspired by your posts! :-)

    I am new to the blogging world, but I just created a couple.

    Anyway, since I was inspired here, I put a link to your blog on mine under the category "Inspiring Sites". I hope this is OK! I didn't know if you need permission to link to other blogs, but I thought it would be the courteous thing to do.

    If you prefer that I don't, just leave a comment or email!

    Blessings!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make these for lunch on occasion. I love the name you have for this meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie
    Welcome - I'm glad you found my blog and that you find it inspiring! I'm not clear on blog manners, but I think that asking permission to link is thoughtful, so I always apprecite it! You are more than welcome to add my blog to your 'Inspiring Sites' category.

    I should warn you that I'm not always inspiring, and I'm pretty inconsistant, since my days are full and my energies are limited due to chronic illness. Come back any time!

    myheartisalwayshome - great minds must think alike! Fun names make lunchtime more interesting, don't you think? The other day, Storyteller asked 'what's for lunch?' and when the reply was 'Hodgie Podgie Plates' he was so delighted! He is my least food-focused family member so it's hard to get him excited about mealtimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how wonderful! You don't mind if I borrow your "hodgie podgie plate" idea do you? I love it!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelli- borrow away! I freely borrow your great ideas, so share and share alike!

    I hope you family enjoys 'Hodgie Podgie Plates' for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those goodie plates. My Mother, when living and I,now ,love doing that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I so enjoy reading your comments when you kindly share your thoughts!